Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Well That's Odd


My dear friend, Betty passed away on December 24th. She was 82. She lived next door to my inlaws and we became very good friends. I would go once a week and clean her house and clean Donna's house. I did this for years.
I just adored Betty and the great thing was we told each other everything. She came to me with problems and I dumped my problems in her lap. I loved the fact that she didn't hold back when it came to any problems in my life. Like the one time I was cleaning and I was in tears because Anna got a tattoo(Its on her ribs). Betty asked me if Anna had a shirt. I answered yes and she said, "Good, now move on to the next problem." I laughed so hard and more importantly she made me feel better.
She broke her hip one time and while I was visiting her in the hospital, I told her that everyone in her neighborhood was talking about her. She laughed and said that she was always the talk of the town. But I told her not to worry, I was going to tell everyone that she broke her hip having sex and that that should stop the rumors. She was laughing so hard that it made her hip hurt, she swatted at me. The little lady in the bed next to her was laughing so hard, I thought she was choking. I seem to lean towards being inappropriate at all times.
I told her many, many times that she was more like my sister than a friend. She loved to point out the fact that there was almost half a century between us but I always said that I didn't care. She also pointed out that I wouldn't want to be in her family. I said the same thing went for my family. She was the sister that I always wanted, I told her. She just shook her head and thought I was nuts.
Betty's family was cleaning out her house and getting it ready to go on the market. They sent over a few things for Donna and asked Donna if there was anything that she wanted. Betty wanted all of her things to find a good home. That was just the way that she had been her entire life. They had a few Precious Moments that they didn't know what to do with and it bothered her son that they were going to have to dump it off at the Goodwill. Donna said that I loved them and would take them for me.
The first one that I unwrapped from the paper towels was titled, "To a special sister." I am going to miss her.
Still smiling,
Sonya Ann

18 comments:

slugmama said...

Aaaawwwww!
You got me crying you rat....
Now I miss Betty and I didn't even know her. 8-((

Lena said...

Aww, how sweet! And I'm sorry you lost such dear friend. When I was still back at home and working as a social worker for elderly, I met a wonderful and amazing 85-year old Grandma(because she was like a Grandma to me). She was my true inspiration over the years! I wanted to become like her one day. She didn't have any kids but there were so many people who loved and cared for her because she loved and cared for them. It's been years, and I still miss her...

McVal said...

AWEE!! I'm so sorry you lost a dear friend... She sounded great! It is wonderful to find someone you can dump out everything and they make you feel better. :)

Jenny Woolf said...

I had a good friend who was much older than me and I learned SUCH a lot from her. She died some years ago and I still think of her really often. I kept a bowl of hers, which reminds me of her. Her family tossed everything else before I got back (I was away when she died but to be honest I wouldn't have remembered her better if I'd had a mug too). I am glad you too have happy memories

Donna Freedman said...

So sorry your lost your pal. Treasure your memories with her.
Also, keep the Precious Moments piece away from the garbage disposal.

Cheapchick said...

I am sorry you lost such a good friend - she sounds like a cool lady. "I seem to lean towards being inappropriate at all times." lol we had no idea!

Sheila said...

So sorry for your loss SA, my condolences. I would have loved Betty too...

ND Chic said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friend. She sounds like she was quite the lady.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-sniff, sorry I made you cry. She was great and naughty. I think that is why I always thought of us as sisters.

Sonya Ann said...

Lena-I think that there are just special people that are sent to us. I'm so grateful for them.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-She always made me feel better. She also called me out when I was wrong. I'll miss that.

Sonya Ann said...

Jenny Woolf-I still think it is odd how I got the special sister precious moments after she was gone. Its a bit creepy.

Sonya Ann said...

Donna Freedman-I KNOW. With the way that we drink, I figured that would have happened to us more. LOL

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-I can't seem to keep my mouth shut. LOL. And it usually isn't a good thing.

Sonya Ann said...

Sheila-She was great and a rebel from the start. I loved that about her!

Sonya Ann said...

ND Chic-Thank you so much. Just thinking about her makes me smile. She will be missed but she was suffering so bad at the end. I'm glad that she isn't in pain anymore.

Sunny said...

My condolences. Betty sounded like a wonderful woman. And it's no coincidence that the first Precious Moments figurine you unwrapped was "To a Special Sister".

Sonya Ann said...

Sunny-Thank you, I thought the same thing about the special sister. And she was just the type to joke with me.