Monday, May 19, 2014

Den's Grandpa

This is a picture of Den's grandmother and grandfather. Grandpa Mott passed away last Thursday. His funeral is today. I'll be out of touch for a day or so.
This is what each of us wrote for a memory board they are putting together. Anna is going to speak at his funeral so her little bit she wrote isn't as in depth.
Thanks for stopping by,
Sonya Ann



 From Denny- when I was first asked to write something I remember about my grandfather I didn’t know where to begin. I have so many good memories of him. I could tell stories of chivalry, generosity, compassion, sense-of-duty, humor, devotion, love, and some that are just a little naughty. But no single story could ever do justice to the wonderful man he was. Anyone fortunate enough to have him in their lives would know this. We all have stories and memories we could tell someone, but they just can’t compare to him sharing his life with you. Because that’s just what he did. He shared his life and experiences with you. And by doing so he became a very loving and meaningful part of our lives that could never be replaced. If I turn out to be half the man he is, I will consider my life well spent. I loved him and I always will. I know he loved me too.
So, as my grandfather said many times before, just before we went to sleep for the night, and as he would say now on his final sign-off “Good night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.” 
From Sonya- I have always considered it a gift to have had grandpa in my life.
He set an incredibly high standard that every man should strive for. He was considerate, a constant gentleman, a hard worker, very intelligent and devoted to his family. His kind ways showed in his eyes and his actions.
I have always considered it a privilege to be a Mott. Grandpa set the standards for the Mott name and those standards were passed down from generation to generation.
He will truly be missed.
From Anna-One of the memories that I have that shows grandpa’s amazing character is when I almost destroyed my car. I was completely irresponsible and was not paying attention to the road when I should have and ran right into the car in front of me. When everyone was ready to bite my head off, grandpa was there to my rescue. He told everyone that I would turn out just fine and that they should not be so hard on me. I am so glad that he was always on my side and whenever I get in trouble I will always refer to the times that grandpa knew I would be fine and how right he was.
From DJ-It will be hard to get used to the idea of Grandpa’s not being here. He was always there for everyone and anyone that ever needed a helping hand. I will forever cherish the time that I was able to spend with him and all of the fond memories that he has left me; all of the times he answered his door with a happy “Well, hello there”; all of the times that he said that I would become the next Warren Buffet. I will miss being able to talk stocks and business with him, but mostly I will miss being able to just sit by him, talk and listen to all of his stories while he sat back in his leather chair. It is difficult to see all of the ways that he has changed my life, but I know that it is in more ways than I can imagine. I hope that I can someday become more like he was and that I can help as many people as he did.

10 comments:

slugmama said...

So sorry for all y'all's loss.
Grandpa Mott sounds like he was a fine man and will leave a hole in many lives with his passing.

Hugs to you all.

Cheapchick said...

Sounds like a nice man, sorry you had to say goodbye to him.

Jennifer said...

That was beautiful. He sounded like a wonderful person. I am so sorry for all your family's loss.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Thanks sweetie.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-It was a sad day.

Sonya Ann said...

Jennifer-Thank you so much.

ND Chic said...

Grandpa Mott sounds like he was a fine man who influenced many lives. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sonya Ann said...

ND Chic-Well put. Thank you.

Frances said...

Your family has been truly blessed to have had Grandpa Mott in your lives for so long. I know he will be missed.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Thank you.