Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Cheap Weed Killer

This is an easy and cheap weed killer. Den's uncle swears by this concoction. I was a bit leery but it worked like a charm!
Save one of your old week killer bottles with a sprayer, that is so much cheaper than buying one for this project.
Mix one bottle of vinegar with three large squirts of dish soap and the entire container of salt together and DONE. Just make sure that the salt is COMPLETELY dissolved. I'm speaking from experience here. If you do happen to clog the sprayer, run it under hot water and keep trying to squirt it. Eventually, it will dissolve and start working again.
The weeds around the pool fear this mixture. Now if I could only find the time to go out there and spray away.
Thrifty weed hitman,
Sonya Ann

8 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

Have you considered that salt makes the soil forever infertile? The vinegar will work without salt.

Anonymous said...

I usually do it wihtout the salt for the cracks in between the bricks and all that. Can you guess what my youngest is doing tomorrow??

But I think I will try it with the salf for in between the bricks on the patio and the walkway.

Judy

Jenny Woolf said...

Sounds more eco friendly than some of the stuff they put in weedkillers too. Boiling water often works but i feel like a sadist doing it. I don't know why I don't feel like one when applying weedkiller.

Sonya Ann said...

Practical Parsimony-I use this for the cracks in the driveway and in the gravel around the pool.

Sonya Ann said...

Judy-I missed you!!!
I think that this will be a project for this weekend. The weeds are winning the battle around here.
I didn't have much luck with just the vinegar.

Sonya Ann said...

Jenny Woolf-Hahahaha, never have I felt that way about killing a weed.

McVal said...

Sweet!!! I've got to try this!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Or get the kids to pull weeds. I'm thinking that DJ would love to do that this weekend.