Monday, July 7, 2014

Smooshy Monday

Yeah, we broke down and bought a table. And it was new. It was on clearance and a floor model but still.................
The poor old table was on its last leg.
We have been searching for something to replace it for almost 3 years. And now that Anna is taking all of her bedroom furniture, we had to get another set. Yeah, reread that cuz it didn't make sense. ;p We have been using Anna's desk chair as a replacement. How's that for cheap?
And OMG, some people are crazy. We have been going to estate sales trying to find a replacement table and chairs. One guy was selling a table for over $500 and it was in worse shape than our old table. It had a gouge in it the size of my palm. REALLY??
Our old table and chairs was the first piece of furniture that Den and I bought together.  I'm not the sort that keeps things but I made him save the table and chairs. I'm hoping that one day we can have two children's table and chairs made out of it for grandkids. No, that wasn't an announcement. If that was an announcement, I would have wanted you to use the table as firewood and burn me at the stake.
Getting an oak table into the rafters of the garage was a feat in itself. The brackets on the ladder bent out because the weight was too great. And no, I wasn't the one on the ladder. We got it up there with a bunch of grunting. I'm waiting for the roof to cave in. Any bets?
The table was part of a set and this rug came with it. It was a floor model so I'm going to clean it before I ship it off to Anna.
It also had a hutch with it, that wouldn't fit in the kitchen. It's now in the front room. I think it likes it there.
The only good thing about being in a high end furniture store is all the decorating ideas that you get. I'm thinking about doing Anna's room in black and white. And I think something along the lines of this painting is what I'm looking for. I'm just not going to spend $240 for this one. I'm thinking I can find something for about a tenth of that.
This hard to make out picture is of the curtain on the backdoor. It doesn't match the kitchen so I'm thinking that it may have to dye. Anyone ever done Rit before?

Another $3 from Pinecone to add to the sad Christmas pot and we are at............................
$100.49     Google(blog writing)
$87            Pinecone research
$179.09     BP
$25            Amazon gift code that I won from Donna Freedman at Surviving and Thriving!!!!!
Total $391.58 for our 2014 Christmas!
And that's all I've got for ya. Anything new in your world?
Sittin' pretty,
Sonya Ann



16 comments:

slugmama said...

Nice set! And no I am not talking about your knockers.....yes, I "went there".

Tell Anna she has really nice parents to give her furniture and a rug.

And it was so nice of you to upgrade your furnishings just for my visit. I feel honored.....

But where is the bench now that I get drunk on, er, sit on in the living room? Nice storage in that chest tho.

And make sure you thoroughly wet/soak the curtains before putting into a dye bath. Water works best though you probably have enough alcohol to get 'er done too. ;-)

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-You are the only one that would say that. LOL
I moved the bench by the door, it is waiting for your drunk butt.
Thank you for the dye tip. This project is on the to do list. It's a long damned list, I tell you.

Cheapchick said...

I love the table and the hutch. We tried to buy a used table and chairs when we moved as we sold the old one when we left Alberta as not everything would fit on the truck. We ended up buying new and got a decent enough deal at the discount furniture place. 2 years now and it still looks nice and has held up well. Floor models rarely have anything more than a minor scratch.

Lena said...

Nice find! I really like the hutch too!

McVal said...

That table (and all of it) is beautiful! What a good deal!

And am I supposed to have a drunk butt bench at my house for Sluggy? I wasn't really planning on drinking...
oops.

slugmama said...

McVal.....don't worry about my drunk butt. I plan to dry it out the weekend I am at your place. ;-)

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous table and hutch! That is exactly my style.

I have never had luck with the dye. My dysfunction!

Donna Freedman said...

We use a desk chair (on casters!) in our living room. The only other chair is a really old wooden rocking chair (which, of course, I am usually OFF) and an old kitchen chair at DF's piano.
The couch is actually a futon. The table behind it is a big plastic thing but you can't see how ugly it is because it's covered with stuff like gardening supplies and DF's 100-year-old typewriter.
Yep, we're classy.
(I'm not kidding about the age of the typewriter. If it's not 100 it's close. Come the zombie apocalypse, we'll be sending out updates on paper.)

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-Den thinks that this table will last the rest of our lives. The last one made it 20 years with kids so I hope this makes it longer without kids.

Sonya Ann said...

Lena-Thank you so much.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-She may need time to sober up after the time with me. I'm a bad influence or so I have been told. I think I'm just fun.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-You are going to need to dry out. From sinners to saints.

Sonya Ann said...

Jennifer-Thank you. And what was the problem that you ran into?

Sonya Ann said...

Donna Freedman-You always make me laugh. Zombie apocalypse! Ok but I do have a question, how will you be delivering your newspaper? Won't there be zombies about on your paper route?

Frances said...

Catching up today. (Darn Hubby for putting me behind by being in the hospital.)

I agree with Sluggy about the nice set. I like going there, too. TeeHee.

That black and white picture is just a picture of trees. You can take a picture and have it blown up in black and white. You could probably even have it put on a canvas for less than the one in your pic.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Sorry this took a while, its crazy here. I'm stopping over at your place to check on sweet knees.
And I was thinking about finding a pic that I liked, making it black and white and blowing it up. Now all I need is a good camera. LOL