Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Racing A Mini Van

HOW DID I FORGET TO TELL YOU THIS? Oh yeah, with bringing DJ to college and getting another lovely card in the mail from a nut job, this sort of fell by the wayside.
Anywho, as you know I drive a Kia minivan. Her name is ol' girl. I love her and she has been very good to us.
I came back from dropping DJ off at college on a Thursday so Friday was our first real day of freedom. Den only works half-days so we were out running errands that hadn't gotten done because I was gone.
We get stopped by a red light and off to our right a little red cooper mini starts creeping forward like it wants to race. Normally, I let them go ahead of me but since Den was driving and this really isn't a big deal, I tell him to punch it.
The light turns green and I look over at him and.............................
The next thing I know is my man looks like Cole Trickle. Yeah, eat your heart out!
So our Kia mini-van and the cooper take off from the starting line. I'm yelling, GO GO GO! Ol' girl lurches forward and we are ahead! YAY US!
The problem with our little drag strip was that there was a merge about a half mile up. So we had to win fast.
I look to the right and sure enough we WON! Take that mini cooper!
And then out of the corner of my left eye, I notice something. It seems like Den is having a seizure. He seems to be bouncing around in the seat. Mind you, the van motor is still screaming, as in wide open and we are racing towards the merge that now has cars stopping.
I turn toward Den and he isn't having a seizure, he is stomping the gas pedal AS HARD AS HE COULD. Then he yells, "THE PEDAL IS STUCK ON THE FLOOR!"
Guess what? My adrenal gland still work.
After what seemed like FOOOORRRRRRREEEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRRR, he locked up the brakes with the gas pedal stuck to the floor. The van wasn't happy about this situation but by some miracle the pedal unstuck itself. We came to a screeching halt.
I realized a few things from this little fiasco. We shouldn't race in a mini van. And perhaps it wasn't Den and I that were in charge of the children. What if they were the ones keeping us out of trouble? I mean we were drag racing not even 24 hours after they left. Shit man, what are we going to do to ourselves in say a month?
I'm a little worried about what is next.
Mrs. C. Trickle,
Sonya Ann
PS-Den came home and tried to figure out what happened since no codes were coming up. It was the floor mat. At least, I hope that is it.


14 comments:

slugmama said...

Geez, and no alcohol was even involved in this one!
You two are going to give me a stroke......who's going to keep an eye on y'all and keep ya'll out of trouble now? The cats??

And I have no clue who Cole Trickle is....I'll ask my Nascar lovin' Daughter as I am sure she'll know!

Cheapchick said...

Crikey, them there's called cheap thrills :)

Linda said...

That's scary! What would you tell your children about drag racing? My teen daughter laughed at me for trying to catch Magnum PI in a VW. Well, you know that's what he would drive!

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-That little mess even scared Den a bit. Hell, if he is wiling to come home and start working on the van without being told-it was bad.
Cole Trickle was played by Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder. Not that I'm a bit Tom fan but it worked.LOL

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-Or stupid thrills.

Sonya Ann said...

Linda-I told my kids not to drag race. Anna was the problem, she said one day that she had her car going 100. I was like I had the van at 110. It was on the tollway and I was passing and cutting across 5 lanes of traffic. Never mind, I'm just making it worse.

Mama .bonnie said...

drag racing in a mini van, a KIA mini van at that, sitting here shaking my head and laughing at the same time......

Sonya Ann said...

Mama-We aren't right in the head. LOL

McVal said...

YIKES!!! lol!!!! At least you won!

and I haven't been around enough lately... That Santa peeking in the window creeps me out!

Linda said...

Oh, that sounds so scary! I was sitting here, sort of sleepy until I read "100" "110" whew! I am certainly awake now.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Right, we are on the same page about winning!LOL

Sonya Ann said...

Linda-Let's just blame it on the traffic on the tollway. ;p

Frances said...

You crazy kids! You need to not do that anymore.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Yeah, we decided that racing wasn't our thing. LOL