Monday, August 18, 2014

Smooshed and Busy Monday Update

Whilst pack DJ last week, some little idiot decided to pack himself. It took everything in me not to ship him off. All I had to do was zip it closed.
This is a picture from when we moved Anna one of the many times.
And more.
And I'm not even going to show you the pictures of HER car. Mind you, this was when she moved into her apartment but STILL there is a huge difference between moving girls and boys.
This is what my poor abused van looked like with DJ's stuff in it.
Hahaha! We had room for 4 people in the van and all of his stuff. This may prove that boys are easier than girls.
It was a pretty easy move. We drove the 5 hours to Ball State on Wednesday, checked into the hotel and then went exploring the campus. It's massive and beautiful. I'm so glad that we found his dorm the night before and where to park. It really is the size of a small city there.
We are hoping to scrape together some money and go back for a visit. And since Anna and my SIL are only 3 hours away, we are thinking about making it a mini family get together.
I have to say that Ball state was super organized with police officers directing people to places to offload and students helping carry stuff to the dorm rooms when we moved him on Thursday. I appreciate organization. 
Here's a picture of his desk in his room. This room is even smaller than Anna's room at EIU. I didn't know that was possible. The only good thing is the bed is lofted and his 2 3-drawer bins fit perfect under there.
It didn't even take an hour to get his room together and we were lucky because his roommate had already moved in so we weren't all crammed in there. My wonderful inlaws went with and helped move DJ. He is loved and spoiled.
And his roommate loves to play Magic the Gathering. I think DJ is in Heaven.
I know its blurry, I was hot and tired but appreciate the organization skills I have. Even my MIL was impressed on how I had everything in totes and bins and it just slid into place. Not to brag but my Tetris skills are over the top.
This is a picture of DJ's building. He is on the second floor behind the tree. If nothing else, the boy is going to get a workout. The campus is spread out over miles and miles of grounds.
We decided to take him out for one last meal and then drop him off at his dorm after lunch. I did pretty well when we dropped him off and he even said he loved me FIRST! Donna, my MIL, cried pretty good. We were in traffic and had to drop him off fast which was probably for the best. He slid open the van and jumped out and called back to us, "FREEDOM FINALLY!" And he's still an ass.
Nest emptied.
I'm not sure how I feel about it. I love them but they were real shits at times. But I will say the house feels empty and not quite as alive. I'm glad that they turned out and both are at college. I half expected them to spent some time in jail not college. I mean Den and I were in charge of them. I told Anna that and she promised that jail time is still on her to do list.
I even said to my inlaws that I was shocked as hell that they both have seemed to turn out. I don't think it was a wise decision to trust Den and I with other human beings and their upbringing. I still don't trust Den with the checkbook.
I guess this is a new chapter for us. We get to write anything that we want into our new lives with just the two of us. Horror or comedy? We shall see.



And I got a $3 check from Pinecone. It's not enough to pay for college but it helps a bit with Christmas. 
So I have...................
$100.49     Google(blog writing)
$102            Pinecone research
$179.09     BP
$25            Amazon gift code that I won from Donna Freedman at Surviving and Thriving!!!!!
Total $406.58 for our 2014 Christmas!
And I think that you are about caught up on my life. Are you tired cuz I am?
Looking for a new normal,
Sonya Ann










12 comments:

slugmama said...

To quote a man who quoted a song....."Free at last! Free at last! Thank God almighty we are free at last!"

You were(and are)a good mom. 8-)

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-It's easy for you to say I'm a good mom cuz you weren't stuck with me. LOL.
Let the party start!

Mama .bonnie said...

Yes, I remember those days and crying with each one as I left their dorm. UHM, maybe that's why son 4 didn't go away to college..........

Sonya Ann said...

Mama-I held it together until after we got home. But there were a few moms that were really boo hooing.

Linda said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOcvIqVQt40

A kid who wants freedom and mom does too. Give it a listen.

Cheapchick said...

Mission accomplished, I say. Even as a stepmom hubby and I have always felt that if you manage to get your kids to adulthood and nobody was maimed or died you have accomplished a lot. We have a couple of years with my stepdaughter and mission accomplished as the boys are now officially adults. She is visiting this week and showed her dad her hootchie momma belly ring. He turned a little green but took it better than I thought he would. Kids, they will do it to you every time :)

Sonya Ann said...

Linda-BAHAHAHA! That was awesome! I never heard that before. I'm going to play it for Den tonight!

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-It does feel good that he seems to be turning out. I think I will always worry but I can say that I have felt a bit more free from their stress. But that can change with one call from Anna. LOL

Jane said...

Cheer up honey. The alternative to having them go off to college and have an empty house is ...well, the opposite. I still have an almost 24 year old using the house as a giant closet. Long blonde hair everywhere. Using up my Netflix gigs and laundry detergent. I don't know what an empty nest feels like...tell you what, you get lonely and I'll send her to stay with you for a few weeks! Really.

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-We would love to have her here and you too! DO you both make awesome drinks? LOL

Frances said...

SonyaAnn, you are a good mama.

I just want to know if you are living nekkid yet????

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Nope still have clothes on. LOL. I want to keep my marriage in tact!