Monday, September 22, 2014

Apple Mashed Monday

This tasted much better than it looks. That was the dollar store meal that I made. Don't say yuck. Even the plate was from Dollar Tree. We usually grab a bite while we are out and about on Fridays but in my quest to save money, I made us a fast lunch. We normally don't eat a lot of processed foods. But I have to say, I might make this again.
So I have a confession, I have budgeted $100 a week now for groceries, I spent $165.22 last week. It was a tasty week, what can I say. That also included two meals out. And I don't even care, we are having such a blast!

Our local bank, State Bank of the Lakes, was having a free cookout for anyone that wanted to come out for a visit on Saturday. Free wienies, hell yeah. So we stopped over for a free lunch. It was us and the people from the nursing home. I felt young.
They had it catered and had a DJ, games, face painting and prizes. I won a Frisbee for guessing how many tootsie rolls they hand out in a year. It was 3000 pounds. 

After our free food, Den and I went on an outing to an orchard. We ate awesome donuts and drank freshly squeezed cider. It was amazing and it didn't have a drop of alcohol in it. Who knew?
The trees weren't that impressive but the apples were so crisp.
We didn't find out that it was $18 to pick a small bag of apples until we drove in! Den accepted the challenge and tried to stuff every apple into the bag. Ask sluggy, if given a bag and told "get as much as possible in here" he will work for hours to get more than anyone else in there. Go ahead, ask her about the ghiradelli shop.
The basket was $.99, the tasty apples were way more. Den said the owners of the orchard seem to think that it is a privilege to pick their apples. There was a line of suckers just waiting to get in. Maybe I need to plant apple trees!

This is the latest project that I have going on here, Anna's room. The only good thing I can say about this is that its almost empty and that I don't have to paint the ceiling. But still, I have to paint.
You know how when you don't need anything, everyone and their sister is offering you their old furniture? Well, we were hoping that someone would offer us something for Anna's room. Nada, nothing, zilch. We have also been looking at garage sales for anything. Not had any luck. Oh well, at least, I have something to complain about, right?

These are my very green and bushy tomato plants. I'm putting them in the flop category this year. We harvested about 4 pints.

The mystery is solved though. I must have gotten orange/yellow cherry tomato plants. I had a few tomato plants that grew from the seeds that I threw in their last year and they were red. I know this is something that you were really worried about.

Den was also insistent that we buy new shoes for our Vegas trip. He truly believes that new shoes are lucky. The only vibe that I'm getting is blisters. They are light though but still blistery.
I scored a hot $6 from Pinecone Research this week and a $10 Chili's gift card from MyPoints. I'm on fire!
$100.49     Google(blog writing)
$120         Pinecone research
$268.33     BP
$25            Amazon gift code from Saving Star
$25            Bass Pro Gift card from MyPoints
$10            Chili's gift card from MyPoints
$25            Amazon gift code that I won from Donna Freedman at Surviving and Thriving!!!!!
$50            Gamestop gift code from e-rewards
Total $623.82 for our 2014 Christmas!
I think that's about all that I've got for you! Anything in your world?
Happy mashed Monday,
Sonya Ann





16 comments:

slugmama said...

Hey!
Free food is free good...even if you have to act geriatric to get it. Why do you think I drive 5 hours to go to the family reunion?.....free food!
Ok, not really.

Den is the tetris packing master of the Universe. All hail the Dennis.

And I really think it's time to start referring to that bedroom as "Anna's EX-room".
Or "Sluggy's guestroom". ;-)

Enjoy those pricey apples!
What variety are they?

Cheapchick said...

You are so totally on fire, I see good things for you in Vegas. I hear you about the orchards, I thought about picking blueberries this year at a local farm, why go pick when the exact same berries are sold cheaper than picking them myself at a nearby store?!? $18 for a bag of apples is bloody ridiculous!

Linda said...

Apple trees are ugly trees, in my opinion. Did I miss how many lbs of apples were in that pricey bag?I hope it held a bushel.

I am the local master of packing things in tight. At a yard sale, I just put the end of cloth in the $1 bag and let the rest hang out. Works for me. When I was married, I had to pack the car since he could only get two suitcases in a 73 Pontiac trunk. Of course, I am the one needing back surgery.

Lowe's has an appreciation day Free Food occasion. It escaped me this year. When I was at UAB, I strolled down the History hall and there was a Christmas buffet/party happening. I needed to walk past, but all the professors insisted I stop and eat. It was embarrassing, but I did eat. Professors don't have bad food, all good, not much junk.

Lena said...

These are some expensive apples. At least they look delicious (love the basket too). I hope they taste divine :)

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-No hail the Dennis! His head is too big as it is!
Hahaha, I'm telling Anna that you now have a room and she doesn't. LOL
I have no idea what kind of apples they were. But they were good. We ate a few while picking. I said we had to get our moneys worth. I stopped at one, Den ate two.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-You are awesome!!! I hope we have some luck.
Yes, bloody ridiculous. I won't do it again. But I might go back for a donut or two.

Sonya Ann said...

Linda-That bag was about half the size of a plastic grocery bag. Den stretched it a bit to get more in there.
I've always wanted to go to a bag sale. We have a local second hand clothing store that does it once in a while. I was a bit leery only because everyone shows up and its a tiny store.

Sonya Ann said...

Lena-I found a worm in one of them. I think that I will be cutting them up before I eat them. Still, they are the best apples I have ever had. But I won't pay that money again for them.

McVal said...

All you have to do for Anna's room is get used to it empty. I mean accept it for what it is and move some exercise equipment in. THAT'S when the freebies start coming in!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-So deem it the exercise room and I will get bedroom stuff? Good thinking. What do I have to name it to get money?

Anne in the kitchen said...

OK while I will agree 18 bucks a bag is extreme, you have to look at it from a different angle. You got delicious apples ( with the bonus protein from the worm), a fun day with DOUGHNUTS, and this great story that made me laugh. You just can't put a price on a great story! For the record how many over-priced pples could he stuff in the undersized bag?

Linda said...

I looked back over your blog post. That is a tiny bag! I hope the fun you had was worth the extra $12 you spent. I don't know why I did not see it the first time.

T'Pol said...

Tell your hubby red underpants bring you luck especially if worn on New Year's Eve. That's what the folks in my country think... So, by December you see lots and lots of red underpants in the stores.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-You are right! I just have the tendency to be a bit negative.
The apples were super small but I didn't count them. Maybe 40ish.

Sonya Ann said...

Linda-The owners really think their apples are better. LOL

Sonya Ann said...

T'Pol-Red undies it is! Thank you for the tip. New shoes and undies are always a good thing.