Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Car Care-Girl Speak

I don't normally lecture but its the time of the year when us girls need to step up our manly duties. We need to get our cars ready for the winter.
The above ugly assed picture is of the bottom of my car. My screws are rusting. Damn it.
A few easy maintenance steps will keep your car or van going strong for much longer. 
Run the lovely vehicle through the car wash and pay for the wax.  They also sell a super easy spray on wax. Just spray and wipe. I would recommend that too.
Clean the tires and look for any damage. And don't forget the wet shine. I buy the spray on that doesn't need to be wiped off. This is all about being lazy. Yes, I vote for that.
Look for any rust spots. I buy the cheap touch up paint. And I'll even sand small rust spots if it seems to be too bad. For the ugly bolts, I'll paint them and then spray them with a clear coat just to make sure that its sealed. I would only do this in areas that you can't see.
Not perfect but much, much better.
This mess is the bottom, inside of the driver's door. YUCKY!
It's not perfect but it really does help control the rust. Also, a magic eraser will help clean up the area before you touch it up. It gives you a better idea of how bad the area really is.


Any black rubber parts have the tendency to turn grey. Yup, ugly and it makes your car/van look old. No one wants to show there age, especially my van, Ol' Girl.
I use the tire shine on my bumper. Hmmm, that came out wrong.
That is so much better. She looks 10 years younger! Think it would work on me?
I also give the inside of my van a good once over. Shhhh, don't tell anyone but I keep a dust rag in the cup holder in case I see any dust.
OCD and Rust-free,
Sonya Ann


14 comments:

Cheapchick said...

You are the Martha Stewart of vehicle maintenance :) Doing these things do make your car last longer and are especially important if you ever choose to resell. My hubby is the master at making older cars look great. I think he was an auto detailer in a past life.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-Well thank you for the Martha Stewart compliment better not tell her though she might go after me like she did Gweneth Paltrow. ;p
I would rather be under a car than in the kitchen.

slugmama said...

Look at your!
All vehicular-like.....
I bet you can grow hair on your chest now. ;-)

Anne in the kitchen said...

Impressed! I grudgingly wash my car and that is about it. If I cook and a really really good meal will you winterize my car? I am in Alabama and it really does not take much prep. (Exchange of strong suits?)

Linda said...

I CANNOT wash my car. Neither can exbf. Sooo, I have been trying to figure out what to do with it before I go to 50th reunion. Thankfully, in AL rust is not a problem. When it gets cool enough the mosquitoes won't attack me, we will both work on the car. That spray-on wax sounds interesting. I did not know it existed. No buffing? That's for me. I was trying to figure out how to afford a professional wax job, not just for looks but for protection.

I prefer not to be under a car. The kitchen or house was my domain and strong spot.

When we see a rusted out car in AL, we comment that it must be a Northern car.

Jane said...

If I could turn back ti-ime :) I'm just happy that Dougie the Dodge's paint job is the same colour as all of his rust.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Hahaha! No hair yet but I'm hopeful.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne-I would so trade cooking for winterizing duties!
My dad was from Alabama. I love it down there. It always felt like I was home. Crazy, since I have lived in IL my entire life.

Sonya Ann said...

Linda-The kitchen has never been my domain and no one will ever say that. LOL
I love the spray on way. Its the cheaters way to go.
And yup, our poor cars do nothing but rust!

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-Poor, poor dougie. And I didn't know that you could sing!

McVal said...

Do I call you brilliant two posts in a row?? Heck yeah! You're brilliant!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Keep going!

Frances said...

You are so manly! Errrr....uhhh...handy.

LOL!

Caleb Hart said...

It's amazing how much car products have advanced in the past few decades. I have watched as motor oils have become synthetic and more slippery than traditional oil. In my day, we had oil in cans and it was standard oil, not synthetic. With better technology comes better products I suppose. http://aamcogreenvillenc.com/services.html