Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Homemade Gain

I figured out how to make my favorite laundry detergent for super cheap, FINALLY!
I still make my own laundry detergent, its kind of like the hand soap that I made. I use bars of soap and anything else(borax and washing soda) that I have to throw in the pot with hot water, and then blend it until its gloopy. I add 3 tablespoons of my gloop to an empty laundry detergent bottle and then top it off with hot water. I was putting the 3 tablespoons in the washing machine in the beginning but sometimes it would leave a residue on the clothes. Predissolving my gloop ended any problems that I was having.
My homemade detergent didn't smell like anything though. Mind you, it got everything super clean but didn't have a fresh smell. Then I had an AH-HA moment(not the band but the brain), why not stuff a dryer sheet into the bottle, add the detergent/gloop and then add hot water. It works like a charm! Just let it sit for a day so the scent can disperse. And I bet this would work great for detergent that you didn't like the smell of. I would empty a bit from the bottle, add a dryer sheet and then hot water. You could even dissolve powdered laundry detergent with a dryer sheet in an old bottle. I may have to experiment with this one.
So there you go, cheap Gain.
Super clean,
Sonya Ann

12 comments:

Linda said...

Congratulations! How long have you been working on this? By the way, I actually prefer my laundry not smell like anything. It is clean because it has no smell. I think I am in the minority on this. Cheap is the way to go!

livecheaperdaybyday said...

What a brilliant idea for a fresh smell, I usually put in a few drops of essential oil in the mix when I make my own laundry liquid. I find with men's work clothes it leaves a subtle aroma after washing.

Anne in the kitchen said...

What a cool idea, especially if you like scented laundry.

I am of the other persuasion who likes no smell. Though, if I could create the scent of sunshine at the beach I would add that.

Janie Junebug said...

Good for you. I'm sticking with Cheer because I have super-sensitive skin and I don't want to do anything risky.

Love,
Janie

Jane said...

You're so smart!! Does your detergent also get rid of static cling??

Frances said...

You are so smart! I have still not made laundry detergent, since I still have stock of cheap Purex. When that runs out, I might make my own. I guess I better remember to save some empty bottles.

Sonya Ann said...

Linda-Some like "smelly" clothes, others not so much. I love gain. It just does it for me.

Sonya Ann said...

livecheaperbytheday-I've used essential oils on the fake dryer balls that I have. It worked great.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-It's just gain that I like otherwise I'm fine with no scent. I think I'm addicted.

Sonya Ann said...

Janie Junebug-DJ breaks out terrible from some laundry detergents. I have had to make ours for years but now that he is gone, I can be wild with the laundry again. LOL

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-I use dryer sheets. I'm not sure on that one but I bet that it does. I love you and all but I'm not going to do a load of laundry right now to test it. Maybe tomorrow.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I'll have to get some die free and fragrance free detergent for when DJ comes home. Sigh, that boy costs money.