Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Olé

This may not look like much but this is an amazing dinner and super fast. It's a recipe that one of the women that Den works with told him about. It's Mexican sausage(Chorizo) with eggs(huevos) and cactus(nopales). Yeah, I know you are thinking that cactus sounds a bit odd and I did too. But this is over the top, yummy. And its easy to make. Its my kind of meal.
Chorizo comes in tubes. Cook one tube according to the directions and then push it off to one side of the pan. Scramble your eggs.
The most important part of this recipe is to really drain the cactus well. I pour out as much as I can and then I set it upside down on a plate while I'm cooking the sausage and the eggs. If there is too much liquid added to the eggs and sausage, it gets runny and doesn't work so well on tortillas.
As with any of the recipes that I post-I'm not even good enough to be considered an amateur cook. Follow my recipes at your own risk!
1 tube chorizo
6 eggs
1 jar nopales
tortillas
Cook the chorizo according to the package and push to the side of pan. Scramble the eggs on the empty side of the pan until completely cooked. Add the very well drained nopales to the pan and mix everything very well. Serve on tortillas.
Cheap, easy and yummy just like me!
Trust me,
Sonya Ann

16 comments:

slugmama said...

I consider myself fairly adventurous when it comes to food but I have never had cactus before. I don't think the polka belt here has that product in their grocery stores. Did you have to find a bodega to purchase it or what?

What's it taste like?

Anne in the kitchen said...

Going to have to go to the Latin Market now for cactus! I found a recipe for paleo chorizo a couple of days ago. made it just waiting for something to speak to me. Boom! You dropped this right in my lap. Now I know what t least 1 breakfast this week will be. (Well minus the tortillas) Gracias!

Donna Freedman said...

Important safety tip: Do not read the ingredients list for chorizo. (Hint: Would you willingly purchase and consume "epiglottis"?)
But the stuff IS darned tasty. When I returned to college and was taking Spanish we had to give short speeches on some aspect of Hispanic culture. Mine was called "Chorizo: El Spam de mundial hispano." Maybe it was the free samples I gave out afterward that got me the good grade.
And FYI: It's "nopales," not "napoles." Singular is "nopal." And yeah, it's pretty good.

Cheapchick said...

We only have very basic Mexican food ingredients in Canada, cannot get Napoles waaah! Looks tasty though

Linda said...

I would try that, but I could not to commit to more than a taste. It sure sounds easy.

Lena said...

Last time my parents were here my Dad was wondering how you cook cactus. Now I know :)

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-We have a plethora of Mexican markets here.
It taste a bit like a very weak pickle. It has the same feel when you eat it and only the very slightest taste of vinegar.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-I can honestly say that I have never inspired anyone to cook in my entire life. Really! The planets must have shifted or something.

Sonya Ann said...

Donna Freedman-I took French in high school, so excuse my Spanish.LOL.
And why woman, did you need to tell me what was in it? Damn! Now I have to look for a tasty alternative.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-You are just going to have to take a road trip. LOL

Sonya Ann said...

Linda-It looks like slop, that was my first thought. And then I tasted it and couldn't stop!

Sonya Ann said...

Lena-You can get it at a Mexican grocery store. You peel and boil it but you have to be careful because it will poke you terrible. I haven't tried the fresh stuff but the jarred is over the top good.

Frances said...

Any thing using eggs and tortillas has to be good. Well, maybe there is something that wouldn't work, but I haven't found it.

Jane said...

Huh. Cactus. Did not know it was even edible and you're still alive so it must be.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Amen!

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-I did see a bright light though.