Monday, January 19, 2015

Luscious Mistake

Did you know that I have been making lotion bars for two years now? Yeah, me either.
So the original recipe is one part bees wax, one part coconut oil, one part shea butter and then I add a bit of olive oil just to make it a bit softer. And just to get fancy I'll throw in some essential oil and maybe some vanilla beans. Really, the recipe is more of a guide and it is very, very forgiving. It's kind of like mixing a witch's brew. Pinch of this, sprinkle of that, eye of newt sort of thing. Newt is soft.
I normally make them in the crockpot and use a liner to protect the pot. Not that I am using anything that would hurt it or us, I just don't want to scrape it clean. I saw online that you could boil a jar with your lotion bar ingredients and then just recycle the jar. I'm all about being lazy so that one called to me. And I have to say that this is the way to go. I was cleaning the house and would check the melting process every so often. I put the wax in and then added everything else as it melted. Or so I thought. I completely forgot about the coconut oil and I since I had planned on them being more lush like I added one part oil(olive/vitamin E/caster. Told you I throw anything in there).

Who knew that they would turn out? They are almost identical to Lush bars, they are so so creamy. I realized that night that I had forgotten the coconut oil. Next time, I'll add a bit of coconut oil just because I like the smell and I'll cut back on the shea butter. But again, you really can do what you want with this recipe. And if it doesn't work out just throw it back in the pot/jar and add more wax.
I'm a little worried that when it gets warm out, they might melt so I will be storing them in a glass container.
Also, if you are going to heat this on the stove, add the oil and the shea butter to the jar first then feed the wax in as it melts. The shea butter melts almost instantly if you try to add it to the jar while it is boiling.
I hope this batch will last for the rest of the year but the way that I'm greasing myself up, maybe the season. My face is really soft and shiny but not like his.
Lush,
Sonya Ann

10 comments:

slugmama said...

You are lush in so many ways....hehehehe

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Yes, I am!

Cheapchick said...

Look at you go! Next you will be weaving clothing. I agree with Sluggy, you have lush down.

McVal said...

So... is it a soap? chapstick? what?

Anne in the kitchen said...

I love Lush butter bars, but we have no store here. I will be trying this soon!

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-I had a ripped sheet and I thought of you. I could make this into something!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Wine!

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-I have to go downtown Chi to get some. It's easier just to order them from the website but they are just so so expensive.

Frances said...

I have never tried Lush bars and it is probably best. When I run out of my lotion stockpile maybe I will make some. Though Hubby and I have found that that the $1 jars of Cocoa Butter from the dollar stores or Big Lots is as good or better than most lotions.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-They are so addicting. Its a terrible and wonderful addiction all rolled in one.