Thursday, February 19, 2015

Step Away From the Edge

I don't know why I feel the need to overshare with you. This one is a brilliant plan or so stupid that I can't see it. Be kind in the comments!
Since dearest Anna and Scott are moving to California or Arizona, I figure there will be quite a bit of flying going on. And my guess is we will be paying for quite a bit of it. So here is where my brilliant or moronic plan begins.
If they move to either state, Spirit flies to an airport near them. That's a major plus since we have been accumulating major miles since we charge DJ's college tuition. And if we fly on off days and at stupid times, we can fly round trip for about $15ish to either hub. Sounds good so far, right? We can also fly them back and forth with our miles(some airlines reward programs make you accompany them).
Here's the crazy or smart part! I can sign each one of them up with the rewards program. That's the free part. Here's the not so free part, I can have each Anna, Scott, and DJ sign up through a referral link through me and get rewards miles(about 3 one way tickets) and have them each get a Spirit credit card, they would earn about 3 one way tickets just for signing up. We would then have the bill sent to us. Yeah, that's where we walk on the wild side. If you charge once a month, your miles don't expire and you get extremely discounted flights using your miles. There are two major drawbacks, first off, I would be on the hook for what they charge. But I told them that we would only pay $5 a month on each account just to qualify for the cheap flights and two, there would be about a $40 a year annual fee for each account. But I should more than make it back with the money that I would save on flight costs. So we would shell out about $300 a year but we would earn about 3 round trip tickets for that money.
This will be a lot of leg work to get this set up but I think it will pay off. What do you think? Brilliant or boneheaded?
Soaring,
Sonya Ann

20 comments:

Cheapchick said...

Hm, scary putting new credit cards in their hands. I am not sure it is worth the free flights :)

Jill said...

I'm not a fan of flying....so I say drive! LOL It will all work out I'm sure :-)

Blessings,
jill

Anonymous said...

If you can trust them NOT to charge with their cards, it is a great plan. At the first sign of things going wrong, can you yank the rug from under them and stop them from charging anything else?

Is there any way you can hold the cards and after you earn the free miles, make arrangements that only you can charge anything? The plan is great, but will the execution happen the way you envision? I think I would probably do this.

Practical Parsimony said...

If you can trust them NOT to charge with their cards, it is a great plan. At the first sign of things going wrong, can you yank the rug from under them and stop them from charging anything else?

Is there any way you can hold the cards and after you earn the free miles, make arrangements that only you can charge anything? The plan is great, but will the execution happen the way you envision? I think I would probably do this.

Jane said...

You can refer me too!! I plomise to not charge more than once a day!!

McVal said...

I think it's brilliant... I"m wondering about ways to go see Maddy wherever she ends up, even if it's Colorado. hmmm... thinking thinking. Thanks!

Anne in the kitchen said...

Yes it is so worth the trouble!
We live in Alabama but have kids in New York and Oregon, so we fly fairly often. We are not a major hub airport, so we found Delta is our best bet to both locations. We have the airline credit card which offers free companion flights yearly. Between that and the double miles we get for promotional deals we come out way ahead.
In addition our regular credit card accumulates miles quickly. We rarely pay cash for anything and pay it off monthly so we don't accrue interest. With that we can get a couple of flights a year
Lots of juggling but it's worth it.

Janie Junebug said...

Favorite Young Man would do something crazy, and I'd have a huge bill. The Hurricane would be uncomfortable with charging anything that would come to me. I don't know the answer.

Love,
Janie

slugmama said...

Ok, weren't you the same person who was celebrating having Anna off the "family teat" finally just months ago?
And now you want to give her access again for some airline tickets?!

This could work fine(as long as you can trust the kids)until the first time you forget to charge something or forget to pay a $5 charge on time.
Then the wheels would fly off that bus.

If it was me, I wouldn't do it but you aren't me. ;-)

Here's a better plan.....stay home or come see me via car and we can drink all this booze I have stockpiled. lolz

Frances said...

I am Sluggy. I would not put a credit card into the hands of my adult children. Or even college age. Heck, when I was in college going out drinking was an emergency...and I was a good kid.

You do what you need to, but me...no way!

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-This is why I threw it out there. I'm really on the fence about it.

Sonya Ann said...

Jill-Chicago to LA is a LOOONNNNGGGG drive. I don't mind the flying, its the people at OHare that get me!

Sonya Ann said...

Anonymous-I think that they would behave with the cards but it is a lot of leg work. A Lot! And I'm not sure if it is worth the free flights in the beginning.

Sonya Ann said...

Practical Parsimony-Ditto! I hate when it posts under Anonymous for me!

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-You would be my naughtiest kid!

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I'm wondering if I shouldn't just stick with trying to get as many miles as I can on just mine and Dens card or see if I can't get it to work for each of us.
But earning free flights with miles is the way to go.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-I work the deals to get cash on one card and points for miles on 2 others and then we have a gas card and get free $ from them. It is always something to figure when we charge something but it really is the way to go. And I pay it off every week so we haven't paid interest in years. But we are paying a yearly fee for the Spirit card. What we don't do to work the system!

Sonya Ann said...

Janie Junebug-DJ would be fine, Scott would be fine, Anna would be the problem. I'm still in the talking about it phase of it. I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I must miss her suckling. But I was hoping that she would keep it at $5 a month. SO you are thinking that she can't? Hmmmmmm?
Yes, drinking with you might be a better plan. LOL. Or sending the kids too you! Yes, you would love to have them with you.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-HAHAHA drinking was an emergency. You and Anna would be the best of buddies!
I guess I just want to see what public opinion was on this. LOL