Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tired Tuesday

This is Ozzie. He spent part of last week and the weekend with us. He's my bestie's dog. He needs to be walked A LOT. You would think that I would lose weight walking him in this cold weather and for as far and as fast as this dog likes to walk. But no, my body likes only to gain weight, go me!
It was a pretty uneventful weekend. I love those weekends.
We went to the movies this weekend. I had two free tickets that were going to expire. It still cost us $25 for candy, pop and popcorn. That is crazy!
We saw Jupiter Ascending. It has gotten a lot of bad reviews but I liked it. The acting was good and the special effects were AWESOME. Den thought it was just alright and seeing it in 3D helped. I don't know, the lizard men/monsters were incredible. Seriously, the graphics were really good. And seeing Channing Tatum with his shirt off was well worth it. Have you seen his arms-GOOD GOD!
I also made a bunch of Freezer Pickles. I found massive packages of cucumbers on clearance and they were calling to me. Normally, candy bars call to me but this time it was pickles. So if cukes ever call to you don't up your meds just buy them and make pickles.
Freezer Pickles-
(Again this is more of a guideline than a recipe)
8 cups sliced cucumbers
2 onions sliced
2 TBSP salt
2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cup sugar
Mix cukes and onions together and sprinkle with salt. Mix very well. Let stand 2-3 hours and rinse well.
Mix the vinegar and sugar, stir until dissolved. Put cuke/onion mix in freezer containers and pour vinegar/sugar mix over them. Make sure that they are cover with the vinegar/sugar mix. If you don't have enough liquid add a little vinegar or make more vinegar/sugar mix. This isn't a picky recipe.
Freeze for 3-4 weeks before eating.
I have no idea where I got this recipe from. I have had it for a long time.
And that's about it for here. Anything new with you?
Happy,
Sonya Ann

12 comments:

slugmama said...

I have never heard of freezer pickles.....won't they go mushy with freezing?
I do make a mean refrigerator pickle however. ;-)

Jane said...

Ahhh pickles - they bring back memories! My mom would make large dill pickles every year and they were my favourite snack. Now I also tend to lean towards chocolate bars...:(

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-They don't get mushy but are a bit floppy. But they are so so so good.

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-I loved pickles as a kid now I'm with you about he chocolate bars. Maybe pickles were the reason that I was so thin as a kid. Maybe I should go on a pickle diet.

McVal said...

oohhh.... To both pickles and Channing Tatum!
I need to see a movie that doesn't feature Spongebob...

Anne in the kitchen said...

I love pickles and I love making them, kind of. I really don't love the mess I make when making them though. I am going to try these since I am ok with floppy pickles.

I am still trying to see the movies that are nominated for Academy Awards. I think a gozillion were nominated and I have seen three. Go, me!

Cheapchick said...

Cucumbers are never cheap here except in summer. I paid $1.98 for my last one but we love them. Cheaper for us to buy premade pickles than for me to buy all the ingredients since hubby eats them like crazy (the other night he complained about indigestion and then I found out he ate 7 large pickles lol - plus some raw garlic).

Elephant's Child said...

Freezer pickles? New to me.
Years back I had an argument with my father. I don't like cucumbers and do like gherkins (pickled cucumbers). He told me I could't like one and not the other.
He was wrong then, and is still wrong.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-The spongebob movie would have been my first choice!!! I love the sponge.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-I have so many recipes that I have to try and make. I have an ever growing list.
And we never go see movies but I had free tickets. We are just too cheap to pay $50ish for the two of us when I can wait until I get a free code from redbox.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-I wish that I could send you some cheap cukes. I paid $1.98 for that entire bowl.
I laughed about your poor hubs and his pickle addiction. How did he not know that it was his fault?

Sonya Ann said...

Elephant's child-I love grapes but loath raisins. Raisins are a food that actually makes me mad. So I get the pickle thing.