Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tumultuous Tuesday

Well, I got a bit of surprising and upsetting news. Anna and her boyfriend are moving to California. I'm upset as a mother(not like mother F'er or anything but as a mom. See I'm not naughty all the time.) but I understand why they want to move. Neither one of them has had any luck finding teaching jobs in IL. Mind you, I don't think that it will be any easier finding a teaching job in CA either. But Scott put in for a transfer at the company that he is at and Anna has a waitressing job lined up. I tried to find flaws in their plans but I couldn't. Trust me, I tried for 20 minutes to poke holes in it.They also have a place to stay in a nice neighborhood. They are storing their furniture for free in Illinois. If CA doesn't work out, they are going to go to Arizona and stay with his mother and look for teaching jobs there. AZ has a shortage of teachers and my guess is that this is where they will end up. Illinois isn't an easy state to make a life in. Trust me, it is harder now than it was when I first got out of school.
And then I find pictures like this of them and worry all the more. Not really, they work well together.
I mean she is 23. I guess I have to let her fly. And CA and AZ is way closer to Las Vegas than Illinois is. That was what Den pointed out when I wasn't having such a good moment. I guess we will see where DJ lands and then move somewhere closer to Vegas to the kids.
DJ in all of his smart-assed ways infinite wisdom said, "Well, they might as well get this mistake out of the way." Bless him and his confidence in his sister.
Den is still carving fruit when not concerned with what the kids are doing. Maybe its his form of escaping. I would rather him take up cleaning.
I am dehydrating everything that I can get my hands on. I'm dog sitting this week and Den has talked about dehydrating the dog. I think it would be better to stick with fruit.
We went Goodwilling this weekend. That's a word, right?
Anyways, we got this awesome apple corer. This is making my life so much easier. We really might be taking the dehydrating thing a bit too far. It runs all the time. But maybe its because I can't stop eating all of it. You would think that we would have a surplus by now but no.
I found this massive bag of hotel soap for $4.99. I was so excited about this and all of the laundry detergent that I could make. Den thought that I was way too excited over it but he isn't the laundry person of the house. I am.
And that's it for my world. I love Anna so much and Scott, too. And I know this is the time in their lives when they have to make  a move but I can't help but cry. Even Den didn't take it so well in the beginning. We are at the point where we understand and want them to succeed but it sucks being a parent sometimes. Be kind in your comments, my heart is sad.
Moved,
Sonya Ann




20 comments:

McVal said...

oH!!! I feel your pain! and I'll probably be in the same boat in a couple years myself...
My suggestion is to encourage them to buy a house on the shore so you can swim in the ocean whenever you go visit them. Also to have them become best friends with some celebrities that you like. They ALL live in California so that shouldn't be a problem! Or is it Dubai?...

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-I'm doing better today but it was an upsetting past couple of days. And yes, she should have the time and the money to buy a posh house and hob-nob. LOL

Jill said...

My heart goes out to you. My parents have faced this with me and Jerry moving so much for jobs... sadly its a blessing anymore to have a job regardless of where it may be. You've raised her well, she is going to be fine and being out on her own is a good thing. Love the fruit art ;-) Hugs! Have a great day!

Blessings,
Jill

Anne in the kitchen said...

I am so sorry and I understand totally. I have one in Portland, 1 in the south (temporarily) and 1 in New York. It is hard at first and it's ok to cry, but I promise it does get easier with time. I am still in Alabama because my parents live less than a mile and they are at the season of life where they need a little (more than a bit) tending and time. When the time comes that I don't need to be here any longer we will most likely sell our house, use the lake place as home base and get a couple of condos or apartments in different cities. Or maybe we will get an RV and just be like Cousin Eddie...who knows?

Janie Junebug said...

Yeah, it sucks. Occasionally Favorite Young Man mentions moving. A couple of years ago he talked about Hawaii and even went there for about two weeks. So far, to my relief, he's always changed his mind. The Hurricane is another matter. I don't know when I'll see her again. I understand how you feel, and I empathize.

Love,
Janie

Practical Parsimony said...

When I had trouble finding a teaching job, people pointed me to states willing to pay a huge bonus just to accept a job there. After research articles on the job situation, it turns out the jobs were in towns 75 miles from the nearest town from a grocery store,in a town with no work for a spouse, to a school where each teacher had multiple clubs and too many duties. Even, the young and energetic were not going there to teach.

Of course, the discipline determines how many jobs there are. English/Language Arts is my area. That includes theater, debate, newspaper, annual, spelling bee.

Math, special ed, and computer technology were the needs. That probably has not changed. So all is not so rosy in states needing teachers. But, it may work for her. Give her these facts.

Let them move far away and maybe they will come closer to home when they have children.

My friend moved her children all over following her husband's job as president and upper management. When the first one was in hs, they quit moving and her four kids went to school, made careers and married. So, she could never move back South.

My dil could not find a job in her state of Minnesota, so she took a job in south Texas at a job fair at her school. She met my son and will never move back home to Minnesota. However if your child and her bf are both from your area, maybe they will move back home to your area sooner than later or never.

Elephant's Child said...

Of course you are sad.
It doesn't matter how capable and competent she is, she is still (and always will be) your little girl.

slugmama said...

My Daughter is in Louisiana and my Older son will probably stay in western PA. No clue where younger son will eventually land.

Kids have to do what they have to do.
After Den retires they will probably be settled somewhere and then y'all can move wherever that is.
Until that time comes let them use their wings and we can drink together. ;-)

Sonya Ann said...

Jill-I guess I will come to terms with this but I'm going to be a mess when they leave. Thank you for the cyber hug, it does help.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-I love the RV idea. That would make me feel a lot better about seeing the kids. Now we just have to pack up everything that we own. I'm hoping since Anna and Scott are teachers they will find one spot and stay there. It's not as if teachers get transfers. They normally stay put.
My FIL was the one that said they should go to AZ and my MIL was all for the move. I think they will move by them really quickly. They really are great.

Sonya Ann said...

Janie Junebug-Hawaii would be a nice place to visit but I think that it would be a hard place to afford. Anna has always been a free spirit, I should have seen this one coming.

Sonya Ann said...

Practical Parsimony-Thank you so much for the information and the very kind words. It helped. I have the odd feeling that my kids won't be coming back to this area. There just isn't much in the way of good jobs around here. When I was out of high school, it was easy to make it here. There were jobs everywhere and the cost of living wasn't so high. I had a posh apartment with new and nice things and a new car. Made it with money to spare. Now even with Den's larger checks, it is a struggle. It's not that we spend a lot, I never have been careless. It's just that the taxes and costs aren't reasonable. I want the kids to succeed but they won't here. My grandfather moved his family to this area so that he could make a better life. He said that farming wasn't a way to make a good life and there was nothing in that small town. It seems that this area is drying up too. Guess all we can do is move west.

Sonya Ann said...

Elephant's child-Please come back when she does move and patch me back up.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I know I just need a drink. Den said that we should wait to see where they end up and then move in with them. I mean they mooched off us for years, now its our turn.

slugmama said...

Teacher shortage in AZ but even more so in Vegas baby!
Seriously, Vegas is growing and in need of teachers.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I love you! I'll let her know but I bet they will go to AZ. They can crash for free at his moms. But if we can move to Vegas, they might follow us.

Jane said...

What will be will be. (I just read that on another blog). Sorta wise, sorta just common sense. California or Arizona are nice places to visit, certainly a nice change from IL. I can relate even though my 24 year old is still living with me. She went to Australia for a month and considered working there and I thought I'd have a heart attack - it's halfway around the flippin' world! That's hard on a mother. I'm sure it will all work out for the best - they have to try stuff and then they might come back - it happens. That doesn't make it any easier right now though. HUGS!

Frances said...

But SonyaAnn, they will be closer to Vegas!!!

Always concentrate on the positive.

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-Thank you for the hug. It helps and not thinking about it. LOL. I know she needs to do something and she has always been the child that needed to be tethered. I should have seen this coming. Maybe I will get lucky and we will move out there after her. I hate the cold. Maybe it will all work out, right right?

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I'll just think about doubling down. LOL