Monday, March 2, 2015

On a Roll or Maybe Its a Spiral

It is so much easier to cook with only vegetables. I don't know, I'm just not good with meat.
I've been experimenting with my Veggetti and I'm loving it.
Carrots are ok. You have to use really thick carrots though. The thin ones just don't twist very well and you end up with shavings instead of "noodles." Another tip for using the Veggetti is hold on to that sucker really tightly. Otherwise, it seems that you only get shreds. It was a lot of work for the carrot "noodles" and I would probably only use this to impress someone or maybe a child that was a picky eater. Luckily, I'm dealing with neither so its regular old carrots around here from now on. I tried the carrot "noodles" with salt and pepper and then with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. It's a no-go with the Italian seasoning. I'm sure butter would be fine too.
I then tried the zucchini "noodles" with just salt and pepper. Not too bad. Then I tried them with salt, pepper and the Italian seasoning. Still a no-go on the Italian seasoning. It had an odd and bitter tang to it. Then I tried them with salt, pepper, and butter. This was really, really good. But the butter was the majority of the calories so if you are trying to cut down on calories, this might not be a good option. And then I tried it with cheap old spaghetti sauce from a jar. WE FOUND IT PEOPLE! This was the winner. Even Den went back for a massive second helping. I can't wait to make a chunky vegetable marinara for it. I might even cheat and just steam some onions and green peppers and add it to a cheap jar of sauce. Hey, has every product with tomatoes as the main ingredient on sale by you? We never get good deals in the dead of winter on canned tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and salsa. Let's just say that we are stocked to the gills.
Anyways, the easiest and laziest way to cook the zucchini "noodles" are to put them on a plate and cover them with a plastic splatter guard and microwave it for about a minute and a half. It really depends on the size of your pile and your microwave.
 My splatter guard is just like this one. Well except mine is melted on one side because Den helped me clean up the kitchen and put it in the still warm oven. If there is a pile of pans to go in the oven, everything within arms reach will be shoved in there too. I'm glad there wasn't a small child around. I would be fine with putting the cat in there.
If I find anything else that I can turn into a noodle, I'll let you know. Oh, I just thought of something.
Evil and twisted,
Sonya Ann

16 comments:

slugmama said...

Zuke with a tomato sauce is a basic of Italian cooking so there you go!
Now tell me WHY you are making veggie noodles again?
Low carb-ing it?

I saw something about making mac and cheese without mac and using cauliflower instead. I bought a head of cauliflower but haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet. I figure it will not taste like mac and cheese but cauliflower in cheese sauce instead. lolz

joe said...

I'd eat it. Growing up, our house was always "meat-and-potatoes".

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I'm tryin' to get us a bit healthier. Not really working but I'm giving me an A for trying.
Yeah, I'm guessing you will have some nice cheese and cauliflower. Sometimes the substituting doesn't work so well.

Sonya Ann said...

joe-We are a meat and potato sort of family but since we are getting older I thought I would try to throw in a healthy meal once in a while. Den hasn't thrown things at me yet so I'll keep going with it. LOL

Cheapchick said...

Way too much work for veggies lol although the idea of replacing some carbs is good. I can't even get hubby to eat whole wheat pasta so it might be a tough sell :)

Practical Parsimony said...

When we go to our quarterly visit to Ruby Tuesday, exbf has some sort of sautéed zucchini. It is delicious. When in Huntsville this weekend, my sweetie poured olive oil in a pan and stirred the sliced zucchini in, covered the pan and cooked and stirred more. It was delicious. I think I will plant some zucchini this spring. Maybe I could grow everything for sauce.

Daddy was a meat/potatoes/beans person. Once that was on the menu, he did not care that Mama put vegetables on the table. He was uninterested in sweets.

What tool did you use for all this shredding?

Elephant's Child said...

I have seen ads for the Vegetti. Now you are tempting me.
However, I really, really want to know what your evil and twisted mind came up with.

Jane said...

I like my spiralizer but so far I've only tried zucchini which is really nice with a white sauce. We just eat the noodles raw 'cause we're lazy!

McVal said...

OOOHH!!! I might have to try those after all! I have a splatter platter too and it's melted because someone decided they had to have petrified spaghetti once...

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-If I ate this every night for dinner, maybe I would lose some weight. Probably not.

Sonya Ann said...

Practical Parsimony- I used a veggie tool. http://buyveggetti.com/
I will just be glad when all of the snow is gone and we can see the ground. I'm so sick of winter. I did buy some seeds in hopes of seeing the ground again.

Sonya Ann said...

Elephant's Child-Den made me mad. I'll leave it at that.

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-I haven't tried them raw. I just love this little invention. Healthy and fun, I can't ask for more.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-Why do the people that we live with always try and make us crazy? Or destroy our stuff?

Frances said...

We love veggies at our house. I had seen that vegetti and wondered how it would work. Thanks for feedback.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I so love it. And its fun. Den is getting a bit burned out but not I. He's just not as fun as I am.