Thursday, April 23, 2015

Super Shiny Hair

I've been a sore and dried out mess lately. I think that all the drinking old age is catching up with me. And my hair and skin is kind of dull, lets just blame old man winter.
I've been spoiling myself lately by soaking in a hot tub with my homemade bath salts. It's just Epsom salt and orange essential oil. But my latest find has helped my hair SO SO much.
The last time that I made lotion bars, I forgot to add coconut oil. It is supposed to be one part bees wax, one part coconut oil, and one part shea butter. But last time, I forgot the coconut oil and added one part oil. So I had one part bees wax, one part shea butter and one part oil(it was a mix of olive oil, caster oil and vitamin E) in my new lotion bars. They melt so quickly in your hands. Its like butter. Anyways, before I bathe a lot of times I slick up my face with the lotion bar. It eventually washes off but your completion has a nice glow to it afterwards. And then I saw how dull my hair looked and I rubbed a bit on the ends. I washed and conditioned it as usual. My hair was so soft and shiny the next day. I have used hot oils before but my hair just looked heavy and the roots looked wet/dirty. This was better than anything that I had hoped for.So the next time that you are thinking about using a hot oil treatment, reach for your lotion bar. It works better.
Slick and shiny,
Sonya Ann
PS-Run over to Sluggy's for another AWESOME giveaway!!!! Seriously, enter just for the nail polish!!!


20 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

sounds like a great idea. It's funny but I wrote about my hair on my blog today, too.

By the way we discovered quite by accident dh is allergic to coconut oil, he came out in hives when he touched some....very unusual.

Sonya Ann said...

Gill - That British Woman-I'm on my way over to read it now!
My son DJ is allergic to red dye. Everyone has to be difficult. I have never heard anyone being allergic to coconut oil though. He wouldn't make it long in this house. I have the stuff everywhere.

Cheapchick said...

Very cool. I have very fine straight hair so if I put anything with oil on it just goes flat and pasty

MiserlyMac said...

Lotion Bars are a great moisturizer for skin and hair. Thanks for mentioning Sluggy's giveaway! It is a great one!

Practical Parsimony said...

Sonya,
I can eat coconut in small quantities without too much damage. But, I will break out in great boils if I ingest too much. I would not chance putting it on my skin.

Frances said...

I have not made your lotion bars yet, but I have applied coconut oil to the ends of my hair. Didn't make it feel oily at all.

Jane said...

I love how products, especially homemade, can be used for a number of things. I'm trying to downsize the number of products I use to help with cost and clutter. To that end I find goat's milk soap good for a number of things - I use it as shampoo, it's great on the face and of course I wash my bod with it. And coconut oil has so many uses - I mixed it with baking soda and brush my teeth with it!

rivulet said...

That is great! I was given a homemade hand scrub for Christmas with sugar, peppermint essential oil, and coconut oil. I LOVE it! Those lotion bars sound amazing!

Anne in the kitchen said...

Will give it a try. Do you think it will change those pesky gray hairs back to dark blonde ones? Hoping for true hair miracles!

Jill said...

I remember putting mayonnaise in my hair and covering it with saran wrap for deep conditioning when I was modeling... ever tried that? lol. Have a super great weekend!! I'm hoping we don't get more SNOW like yesterday so we can get things done around the house!

Blessings,
Jill

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-I think thin straight hair would be easier to deal with than the messy curls that I have. Ugh.

Sonya Ann said...

MiserlyMac-You are welcome! ANd I love everything to do with lotion bars.

Sonya Ann said...

Practical Parsimony-That is an odd allergy. We all have our quirks. DJ can't handle much of red dye.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I rarely cook with coconut oil, I just use it for lotion and whatever. I can't get enough of it. Its kind of an expensive habit though.

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-I'm trying to dejunk the house and get rid of all of the bad stuff. I wouldn't part with my oven cleaner today though. It is so toxic but it cleans my cast iron pots so well when they rust. But I have been trying to get rid of everything else bad for us. Not the alcohol though. Shhhhh.

Sonya Ann said...

rivulet-I have never made a scrub with coconut oil. I feel the need to add that to the to do list. I'm sure Pinterest will have a recipe or two. Thank you for the idea.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-I don't think it will make the greys blonde but they will probably be softer. Going grey sucks. Its way worse when you have really dark hair. I get a bunch at my part. The underneath of my hair doesn't have any. Why can't it be the other way around?

Sonya Ann said...

Jill-I heard that mayo would make your hair really greasy. I have never tried it but I think it would just make me hungry for potato salad. LOL
It's raining here so that is way better than snow. Hope you don't have to shovel!

joe said...

Back in the '70s, the big thing for hair was eggs and beer.

Sonya Ann said...

joe-probably not a good combination smell wise.