Thursday, July 30, 2015

Solar Veg

You know how I'm always trying to save something or find ways to save money or some crazy shit like that? Well, I saved these squash plants from Menards. They were on clearance for like $.25 each. They weren't being taken care of and most were moldy. I lovingly planted the best ones I could find. And waited.
Something lovingly ate them or they walked off. Maybe I should have left them in the store and kept my money.
We saved a few veg plants a few seasons ago and were so thankful that they went crazy producing. Guess the same can't be said for squash.

My tomato plants are doing meh. I really should give up on buying plants. My neighbor throws old marigold seeds around his yard and in a few pots and calls it a season. I'm thinking that is what I need to do. The seeds that I threw down from the rotted tomatoes last year are just as large as the tomato plants that I bought this year. My neighbor might be on to something, he did find a way to get a free fence out of someone.
I did manage to save these solar lights from the Goodwill. They will be lovingly hung somewhere. These suckers were $6.99 so I hope nothing makes a meal out of them. ;p
Yard happenings,
Sonya Ann

10 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

I have always found squash to be ungrateful fickle sons of guns. I have tried over the years to be nice to them only to be rewarded by mushy rotten fruits. No more! I will turn my attentions to green beans who are much friendlier and prolific. Adios crookneck!

slugmama said...

Like Anne said even down south Summer squash(yellow squash)are fickle little buggers!
I say grow zucchini! Even if you neglect it and put it under a box it still grows and pretty soon your neighbors are locking their cars and ignoring you so you don't give them any more zukes! lolz

Elephant's Child said...

Zuchinni have world-domination plans. They are sneaky suckers too. One day they are teeny, weeny things too small to be taken from their mothers. The next? Giant tough things which can only be added to the compost...

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-I am really only having luck with dill this year. Oh and the green onions are coming along nicely. So I may save myself about a $1.05 with the green onions for the season. The dill one the other hand is worth quite a bit. It was $2.99 a bunch!!!!!!!

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-Nope, zucchini even hates me. Can't say that cukes love me either. Damn, wtf can I grow. I plant shit but............................

Sonya Ann said...

Elephant's Child-WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!!!! Couldn't grow zucchini to save my life. LIke, I would starve. Well, I would have green onions, dill and dirt. I don't know how long I could live on that diet. Hey, maybe I would get thin? Think I could write a book and make a ton of money off that new fad diet?

Cheapchick said...

I have very few creatures I have to worry about in our fenced in yard - the visiting neighbors dog (he likes to pee on everything so his human mom was concerned he would lift it on my tomatoes I was trying to pawn off free on her), slugs but they are nowhere to be seen in our hot weather drought, and a couple of spiders (scary to me, not so to the plants). I generally have a yellow thumb, not green - maybe Buddy is peeing in there behind my back and the tomatoes love it? yuck...washing the tomatoes now.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-Our Rott Thor loved to pee on everything. I miss him dearly but I don't miss all of the dead grass in the yard and he loved nothing more than to pee on the newly seeded dead areas.
I pray for a yellow thumb. LOL It is so much better than my thumb.

Frances said...

Sluggy's comment about people locking their doors in fear of zukes cracked me up!

Sorry your squash got eaten or stolen, SonyaAnn.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-It will be missed or not.