Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Solar Throwup

This past weekend was a good weekend. We didn't have any parties and I didn't buy any cars so I'm pretty pleased with myself.
I'm surprised that Den really likes the hybrid. He loved the Amanti. It was a luxury car and it rode like a dream. But it was getting older and we needed something that he could put a ton of miles on. The Toyota isn't as comfortable but Den found a new game. He is hypermiling. Good God, every time we went somewhere, he was telling me what his mileage was and wasn't happy when I kicked the AC on. The AC kills his mileage. Fat sweaty Sonya isn't a great seatmate so I won.
The lighthouse was a garage sale find. It was $4. And the shells were $.50 for a big tin of them. I like to set the shells out here and there in back. Den and I were both talking about finding some large fishing netting to hang by the pool. So does anyone know where I can get some cheap netting?
We stopped at a local cafe for lunch. It is over the border in WI and I have to tell you its like stepping into another world just going a few miles over the border. IL is all rude and fast-paced. WI is like a time warp, you go back 50 years.
This is a local joint and trust me, we aren't locals. Every single person shut up and stared at us when we walked in. EVERY LAST ONE!
Even Den was whispering at me about how every person in the place probably has "his" own seat and they were mad because we were probably sitting in Bob's seat.
The food was good but what made the entire meal was the fact that you can see the cooks and the one was beyond pissed at one of the customers for sending food back and yelling about it. It was a fucking great show. The waitress kept mumbling asshole. Food and a show!!!!!!
I also spent some time working on our weed garden. Everything is dying off so after cleaning it out, it looked sparse so Den and I moved the fountain to the front. It looks better.
I bought a solar pump for the fountain since the other one would heat up to the point where you couldn't touch it. It didn't seem so safe. LOL
And the damned solar thing wouldn't work if a solar flare hit it directly. I'm going to continue to fart around with it but I'm thinking it was a dud. I'm wondering if I could rewire it or something. Yeah, I think I'm capable. If it was broke before, wait until I get a hold of it. Wonder if I can return it after I splice a solar light battery to it?
This awesome little butterfly solar light was another garage sale find. It was a massive $1. It sort of works. Well, it lights up for about 5 minutes. But maybe if we got more sunlight, it would work. I might live in England and not IL.
And because we drink all of the time, I got a $12 wine rebate that I will throw in the Christmas fund. I did not say throwup.
$81         Pinecone Research
$91.25    BP
$10         Beer rebate
$24         Wine rebate
$25          MyPoints gift card-Macy's
For a total of $231.25.
And that's all that went on here. Not real exciting but I'm a bit tired of exciting and would like a weekend filled with naps and maybe a cocktail. So what did you do this past weekend?
Solar stripping,
Sonya Ann





17 comments:

slugmama said...

Dinner and a show.....well aren't you the lucky one?

Are you sure that waitress isn't my long lost twin? Could be.....

$231.25 and 4+ months until Xmas? I am thinking your gonna have to do more the Solar Stripping to get enough $ for Xmas this year.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-I KNOW!!! I'm so worried about the Christmas mess that I'm in. Money is flowing out not in. UGH!!! Do something. FIx this mess.
I know I told Den that was such a wife thing to do. He didn't understand. LOL

slugmama said...

That place has a row of motorcycles outside it in the photo on their FB page.
You need to go back when the bikers are there....wait til they are drunk and then take their picture.
The excitement that will ensue will be better than the waitress show you had. lolz

I think you need to start canning jam for Xmas gifts and then bake a lot of loaves of bread the week of Xmas to get through this year's gifting bacchanalia.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Glad you did not buy another car this weekend, or even party? Dunno, it was quite a fun story to read. I am glad you found some bargains on your hunt, even if the butterfly only shines an hour. Since purchasing a pump organ that does not really work ( and I did not really need but who can resist a bargain pump organ?) and will take forever to repair I am trying to reign in any thrifting impulses.

The hoofbeat sounds of Christmas are getting closer and closer! Maybe an adult Kool-aid stand would be a money maker.

I have already started serious shopping and hopefully will have it done before Halloween. There seems to be some weird time vortex I fall into every year the day after Halloween. I put away the pumpkins, eat the leftover candy, fall asleep, wake up and it is the week of Thanksgiving and nothing is done. This is the year I vow to change things up and experience no Christmas rush (Did I mention I make this stupid vow every year?)

If you want a truly different experience eating out, head to Alabama and stop in any locally owned lunch time restaurant/diner. After giving you a complete once over the locals will start talking to you and trying to figure out who your "people" are, where you are from, and if there is a possibility you are distantly related. Nothing excites a southerner more than finding someone who is "kin folk" or "kin folk" of a friend. I don't make these rules, I just live with them.

Elephant's Child said...

Dinner and a show is always a winner. Particularly an unexpected show.
I wonder whether the cook would have blown his nose or piddled into the customer's food if he had a wall for concealment. I have heard that they do... Which would have made for a fairly dramatic show (and sequel) as well.
Here? I had a pain-filled public meltdown at a family occasion which went on too long. We did (luckily) avoid hitting kangaroos which leapt out in front of us on the trip to and from the event though.

Jenny Woolf said...

Haha! I'd love to have been in that diner!

Jill said...

It's exactly like that here in a small town... you walk in a restaurant and store when you are new in town and they all know! Can be quite awkward. Cute yard sale finds :-)

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-At this rate, everyone is going to get dryer lint for Christmas. I went through it this morning and I figure that I will be about a grant short for Christmas and when I start thinking about the credit card debt, I stress out. Yes, I know that it is car debt but still, I need to have a freak out.
I'm sure that the bikers would love my drunk and mouthy ass at their bar. Good food or not, I think that I wouldn't chance it.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-The funny thing is Den almost bought a car this past weekend. And I'm not kidding. I would have gone into a spending coma. It was a BMW. I was getting a bit concerned.
I'm not sure what a pump organ is or how to repair it. Is it something like a heart? LOL
I'm so short for Christmas, its gross. But I do have quite a bit done. I hit the after Christmas sales and bought most of the stuff for the people at Den's work. But still, Kool-aid stand sounds good. I may even add Vodka to it.
We don't do "kin folk" around here, LOL. But my dad was from Mobile. His last name was Goodwin, are we related? ;p

Sonya Ann said...

Elephant's Child-I am always leery of making the cook mad for that very reason. No piddle for me, thank you very much.
Well, weren't you the busy one!!!! I have yet to have a kangaroo incident in this lifetime. I'm not saying that it won't happen but the odds are against it.

Sonya Ann said...

Jenny Woolf-Honestly, it was a bit creepy to have everyone stare at you and for quite some time. There wasn't even a baby crying for a nice little distraction. LOL

Sonya Ann said...

Jill-We went to a funeral in southern IL and it was a super small town, we actually had people following us from aisle to aisle watching us and whispering. It was so strange.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Sonya Ann, believe it or not I do have a branch on the family tree that is a Goodwin branch by marriage, so it is possible

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-Is it the James Goodwin and Estelle Harville branch?

Jane said...

I drove through WI once - at least I think I did. There was nothing but fir trees on both sides of the highway. I don't know how I managed to stay awake long enough to get back into Canada!

Sonya Ann said...

Jane-No one really likes WI here in IL. The cops sit at the border and pick off the people with IL plates. They suck. Everyone from IL says its like going to Russia. You have to show papers to get over the border and there is a good chance you will go to jail for no reason other than they want your money.

Blogger said...

I've just downloaded iStripper, so I can watch the hottest virtual strippers get naked on my taskbar.