Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Good and Bad Mashup



So much went on this past long weekend. The wonderful news is my FIL is much, much better. He has vasculitis and is on very strong steroids. He was out of the hospital on Thursday and left on vacation Friday. He is determined not to let cancer and all the of the health problems that go with it to stop him from living. While we all agree with his determinated spirit perhaps some down time would be in order.  Den and I complained but it seems sometimes parents don't listen.

It isn't often that Den and I have nothing planned for a weekend. And I have to say that this will go down as one of my favorite weekends. It was nice to spend some time with him and not have to cook or rush to do anything. That said we did have a bit of company. My bestie needed a sitter for her pooch. I think Den liked having someone greet him at the door. Maybe I should jump on him the next time that he comes to the door.
We went to a few garage sales and back up to the copyright infringement farm stand for corn. I picked up this nifty little tree for $4. I think that I will paint it white and maybe hang some plants on it next summer.

I spent as much time as possible in the pool this weekend. In fact, I think that this was the most time I have been in the pool at one time since we have moved here in 20+ years!!!! I made a point for me time. I think I need to place that at the top of the to do list since I feel pretty water-logged refreshed.

The sad news is our high school had the funeral for the slain Fox Lake police officer, Lt. Joe Gliniewicz. Fox Lake is our neighboring town and Antioch High school was the school that he graduated from. It is such a horrific crime but in all of the sadness, I have never seen this community pull together as it did. Nor have I ever been so proud to say that am from Antioch IL.

I also got another $15 from Pinecone Research. I'm concerned that I will not get enough money for the holidays and everyone will be stuck with some sort of homemade monstrosity like belly button lint paper.  It could happen.
$96         Pinecone Research
$91.25    BP
$10         Beer rebate
$24         Wine rebate
$25          MyPoints gift card-Macy's
For a total of $246.25
How was your long weekend?
Spent,
Sonya Ann

17 comments:

slugmama said...

Parents! Can't live with them, can't live without them.....
If FIL is on steroids I hope they can find a really good buffet cuz that shit makes you want to EAT! Much worse than pot for that, or so I've heard.....

I don't believe you were in the pool at all. No photos no proof lady. Show us at least a pruney foot..... ;-)

I really need to jump back onto eBay to make some $$$ for Xmas. Maybe when the foot is better.
A better idea for Xmas....just run away for a few weeks and avoid the whole gift giving rigamarole.
Resurface about Jan 3rd and tell em all you went on a bender. I'd believe it. lolz

McVal said...

I'm so glad your FIL is doing better! And awesome on the Christmas money.

I've been following the news on the policeman shooting too. How terrible!! The world right now sucks...

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-They are such good people, I just hate to see anything happen to them.
He is so obsessive about his health and for him to get cancer is a shocker. They told him that he would probably gain weight. DJ was put on steroids when he was in third grade and that was when he gained a lot of weight.
I need to do something to get some cash in this house. It is starting to get to me and we are going to Vegas. UGH. I hate feeling like this. BROKE. And running away seems like a perfectly acceptable option.

Sonya Ann said...

McVal-It would be awesome if there was a bit more money but I guess I shouldn't complain. Right?
And I agree the world seems like a terrible place now. I have cried a lot lately.

Anne in the kitchen said...

I have quit crying and am in a sort of mourning, hoping for some semblance of a collective morality to return. (I am not talking about an uber conservative stance or a liberal view of what is right or wrong. Just humans adhering to some moral code of civil behavior . Please wake me from this nightmare when it happens)

Your husbands folks have to blaze their own trail until they can no longer blaze, then the circle closes and it will be your time to help them with all their decisions. That is when y'alls input will be important, until then it's just the kids butting in. Mom's circle is rapidly closing and she needs our help but kind of resents needing it at the same time. Right now I live in the classic catch 22 situation...damned if I do and damned if I don't.

I've bathed in Calgon a couple of times but I am still here, so I'm thinking of earning Christmas money by suing them for false advertisement.

SAM said...

Good wishes your way. I may have to check out some side money raising. I had good intentions for e-bay-made an avcount but posted nothing. I hope your community stays pulled together-such a tragedy.

Elephant's Child said...

Wonderful news about your FIL.
Would Den like it if you jumped all over him, while wriggling your butt and attempting to lick as much of him as you could reach?
A scary thought...

Cheapchick said...

I think you should give belly button lint just as a joke gift. Then have their real gifts hiding in the background. Simply say that funds are low paying for their educations etc :) Dogs and men, men and dogs. Now my hubby kisses Buddy and goes out the door forgetting to kiss me lol.

Jill said...

Parents can be stubborn...but he's doing what's best for him :-) Awesome you got pool time!!!! Jealous ;-) And I love that the community comes together like that. Have a great day!

Blessings,
Jill

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-I just don't understand how things like this happen. I see things posted on FB about how people are out to kill cops and I think why is this alright. The sad thing is they really don't have anything to go off of. They still haven't posted a description or anything. 2 white males and 1 black male.
I agree completely that its all up to them and I honestly think that they are pushing so hard because they both had to take care of their parents. SO they don't want to stop going until they can't any more. But still laying on the couch for say a day after getting out of the hospital WOULDN'T BE UNREASONABLE for anyone. LOL
We will have to figure something out to earn extra cash. There is always stripping.

Sonya Ann said...

SAM-Everyone here is just hoping that they catch them or at least, tell us what to be looking for. There is nothing. I just can't understand that. It was wooded where they were but there are businesses around that area. You would think something would come out.
We could pan-handle for Christmas money.

Sonya Ann said...

Elephant's Child-Yes, we are all glad that he is doing better. My MIL had surgery on her thumb when all of this went down. They are both a mess.
Yes, so scary and I'm sure that it is nothing that he would be interested in.

Sonya Ann said...

Cheapchick-My SIL did something similar one year. We were sobbing laughing. She bought a sewing machine and made gag gifts for everyone. Den got a pair of homemade underwear that was just not right. In the end, she had real gifts that were beautiful that she had sewn.

Sonya Ann said...

Jill-Yes he is but it was funny to see Den get upset with him. It was just because he was worried but it was a bit funny.
We will be closing the pool this weekend. SO so sad. It was like someone flipped a switch here. Its no longer nice out.

Frances said...

I am so glad your FIL is doing better. And the best is that he got to leave the hospital. Some cancer patients don't. I hope he and your MIL keep going, going, going as long as they can.

We had a senseless shooting of a police officer here in Houston, too, and it really is so sad that such things are happening in our country. But it does seem to be pulling communities together. There is a big support march here today.

For Christmas, you and Den could think of some food thing to make. If it is baked goods, you could bake ahead and freeze. That is what I do and have for years. I have some people tell me all they want is jam and Cranberry Almond Bread. It makes gift giving so much less costly. I will start making jam soon (fruit in the freezer) and will bake bread in November. Easy peasy.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-I am so so sorry about your mom. I love you, my friend.
That is the only good thing coming out of the senseless shootings. Everyone seems to be pulling together. I just don't understand this. How can one person kill another for no reason?
Your jam sounds fabulous! I hope that soon you feel up to posting again, we all miss you. The only good thing is that we hit the after Christmas sales and half my shopping is already done! I think we spent about $125!!!! Go me.

Blogger said...

SuperPayMe is the #1 get-paid-to site.