Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Vegas Tiles


This heathen finally went to church and it didn't catch on fire. Who knew?
Den and I went on another adventure last weekend. Ok not so much an adventure as it was searching out garage sales. So it only makes sense that we ended up at a barn that had been converted to look like a castle that was now a church with an attached resale shop. Makes sense to me.
I have to say that this was such an adorable place. Den thought that it would make for an amazing bed and breakfast. I could have stayed there for days.
The problem was the smell. There was no doubt that it had been a barn at one time. But it was a fun place just not to breath. They were having a bag sale. This must be a church thing. $2 for all the clothing that you could stuff in a bag and there was a lot of vintage things.

Oh how these have been scrubbed. I think I'm going to keep the red and the yellow jacket for me and give the rest to my neighbor.
The purple one may stay. I'm not sure yet. But my neighbor will appreciate these. She has a fancy-smancy sort of job and has to dress up.
Den has his Christmas party every year and I always get stuck with purchasing expensive dress clothes. I might have the vintage coat taken in and pair it with gray pants and a gray shell. Hey, vintage is the in thing right now.
This was part of the stuff that we brought in on Saturday. Den power-washed his parents house on Friday so no adventures that day.
We spent $16 on Saturday and brought more crap treasures home. Den loved this little lady but she is broken.

He is going to bondo her and then repaint her. The broken birdbath turned out really well so I'm not worried about this project.
Saturday night my bestie brought her daughter and husband over so that we could see her before she went to homecoming. She is beautiful and so mature, her father not so much. We have known her since she came to America at the age of 5. We are getting so so old. Even Den was talking about how she has grown and how time is flying by. In his heart, all little girls should stay 5 and never look at a boy EVER.
On Sunday, we stopped by his parents house to check up on his dad. They keep changing his meds and he isn't doing so hot.
We also stopped at a few garage sales in some "rich" neighborhoods since we were out that way. We bought a bunch of movies and DVDs for $6.
I found that adorable wooden purse for $3 and I think that I may use that for the Christmas party this year too. How funny is that, my outfit will cost about $3.35.
I got the heavy vase for $3 and we stopped by Goodwill and I got the bag for $2.13. Spirit airlines is changing the size of the bag that flies for free the beginning of next year and I wanted to see if I could get everything that I needed in it. Yup. It all fits even with snacks.
Then we hit the motherload. WHY WEREN'T WE GARAGE SALING IN THE REALLY RICH NEIGHBORHOODS ALL SUMMER! We met this adorable couple and they had helped their daughter rehab a house. Well, she got a job off in AZ and sold the house after they had gutted it. They wanted to be rid of all of the extra tile. $20!!!!!! This is more than enough to do the bath upstairs and down. My guess is that is way more than $300 of tile.

There are some odds and end pieces but 8 unopened boxes of tile!!! It felt like we robbed them. This may be our best find ever!
Den had that gleam in his eyes as we drove off with the ass-end of the toyota dragging. You know that gleam-I'm going to tear shit up. Remember how I was worried that I wouldn't have anything to talk about this winter, well I bet we find plenty to do with the tile!!!! I think downstairs all we need is a glass shower door and maybe a sink. Upstairs I'm not sure what Den has in mind. But I know that we will save a ton on this project because of this find. And I will have something to complain about write about.
Total spent for the weekend was 44.13!!!! You are going to hear about the tile for years to come as that being our best find!!!
This is a poor picture from 3 years ago in Vegas. Notice he had 2 drinks. Things were hazy for a few days after that night. It must have been fun, right?
Well, we are heading off to our funnest place-Vegas. I'll be back in a week with more fuzzy pictures. Wish me luck and sobriety. LOL just wish me luck.
I'm just hoping that my FIL can do this trip, he's had so many problems. Poor man. Cancer sucks! But this is to be our celebration for him being cancer-free. I'll see you in a week and hopefully I'll still have a bit of cash left!!!!
Livin' it up,
Sonya Ann













22 comments:

Cheapchick said...

Have fun in Vegas - or at least drink lots. Great score on that tile. I just discovered a cheap place for stuff like that, our local Habitat Re-store store. We donated all our air grates and found a piece of furniture for hubbies office nice and cheap, just the way we like it.

slugmama said...

I hope you stay so high in Vegas you don't need the plane to fly home....lolz

MiserlyMac said...

Good Luck and have a fabulous time in Vegas!! I love Nevada it is so beautiful! Enjoy!

Janie Junebug said...

Fly high, little Sonya Ann. Vintage is always in, so you don't have to worry about what you wear to the stupid Christmas party. I like the castle/church, but I'd have to hold my breath the whole time I was inside because bad smells bother me a lot. I'd probably pass out. In the photo with a bunch of little things you bought, what are the smallest items? Tiny figurines? And what's the thing that looks kind of like a tiny wardrobe with the doors open? Good tile is very expensive. I have Travertine tile in my garage, and some other good tile left over from when the people who lived her before me remodeled part of the house. Unfortunately, it's not enough to really do anything with it. And then there's the problem that I'm not good at doing stuff. I can analyze the hell out of literature and play classical music on the piano, but I don't have much of any practical talents. I can't iron for shit. tee hee That means I won't iron.

Love,
Janie

Elephant's Child said...

Have a wonderful time. I hope that your FIL picks up soon.
Rich people are always good to score from. More money than sense as my father always said.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Have fun in Vegas. Hope your FIL is feeling up to the trip!

Great scores on the tile. I wish you would come to my house and go through it taking some of the stuff I have accumulated. (except the monkey butler, I have to keep him) I am almost at the point that I would pay someone to go through it and get rid of my unnecessary things. My house is overstuffed and I am underwhelmed.

We are: Clamco said...

Cool barn-turned-castle! Great score on the tiles. Can't wait to see what you do with them. Have fun in Vegas. We went in 2005 and hope to go back again someday. We missed a lot.

Practical Parsimony said...

I am glad he loved the lady. She has good bones, and he can fix her broken parts.

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

What an amazing deal on the tile! I can't wait to see your finished project. Have fun in VEGA$!

Jill said...

Awesome finds, I love vintage things! :-) Neat little place too. Have a great trip! See you when you get back.

Blessings,
Jill

Frances said...

Great deal on the tile! Can't wait to see it on the floor. Have fun in Vegas! Hope you win big! Still praying for your FIL.

Sonya Ann said...

CHeapchick-We have a store like that here too. Its sort of hit or miss and since it is so far to drive, I can't check it every day.
We had a blast and drank almost enough. I behaved since my inlaws were there.

Sonya Ann said...

sluggy-It was a fun trip but it went by way to fast!

Sonya Ann said...

MiserlyMac-It was so fun and we all had a great time especially my FIL.

Sonya Ann said...

Janie Junebug-I'm really excited about seeing if I can get the entire outfit to work. I have black pants and a black shell but I think that gray pants and shell might work better. That means I might have to spend money, gulp!!!! And the clothes stunk too. It was gross in there but I got everything really clean so I'm happy with it.
One was a little wolf figurine and the other two I can't remember and it was such a crappy picture. Den took it and wasn't a happy camper because the sun was going down and he didn't want to have a "photo shoot", he wanted to put it all away. LOL. I'm going to hide all of the little things in the yard so my nephews can go on a scavenger hunt.
And deary, I can't iron for shit either. Not that I really want to learn or try.

Sonya Ann said...

Elephant's child-Now if I could just get someone to redo it for cheap. Den I have to pay in beer and that can get expensive.

Sonya Ann said...

Anne in the kitchen-I always want to get rid of stuff, well except for the junk around the pool. I'm having a bit of fun with that.
I keep begging Anna to come home and help me get rid of stuff in her room. Isn't that what she wants to do when she comes home?

Sonya Ann said...

We are: Clamco-I hate the mess that you have to live in when the redo starts. I've had to live in too many of those messes.

Sonya Ann said...

Practical Parsimony-I'm thinking that she will have to stay cracked until next year. It is getting really cold here. We have the heat on already. BLECK!

Sonya Ann said...

Kimberly Hutmacher-I can't wait to see it done either. I just hope that Den wants to do the bathroom downstairs first! He seems to be leaning towards the upstairs though.

Sonya Ann said...

Jill-Thank you.
I feel as if all we do is drag things in to the house. I try to keep a donate pile going at all times just to move it out fast.

Sonya Ann said...

Frances-Thank you for the prayers. He has lost so much since the first surgery. He was in incredible shape before.
It was a great trip and my FIL had so much fun. That was so important to me.