Monday, March 28, 2016

Skinny Bills



I love saving money. I think I might have said this before. I read every money saving book/article/blog I can. I figure if I can glean even one new tip that I haven't tried before its even more money that I will be able to keep. I have done pretty good about getting our bills down. Our mortgage is $1320. Then we have gas/electric $175(we normally don't spent that much a month so I bank the rest). We have our car insurance $310(Anna's part is $160 so its really only $150). Den has his damned gym membership $30. He doesn't use it enough to keep it but God save me if I bring it up. Garbage and water $125(I bank what we don't use). Our cell phone bill is $200 a month. I am almost done paying off the actual cell phone part of it($80/month savings). But I figure as soon as I get it paid off a phone will break. And to be honest, I am the worst one about the phones. I drop mine all of the time and it seems as if I have a glitch and I have to keep uninstalling apps and reinstalling them. Then I figure $200/week for food/gas for the cars/alcohol/anything else. Den gets an allowance every week and I don't figure that into our bills. He takes it when he deposits his check and honestly, it has saved our marriage. We don't fight over money anymore because he isn't hitting the ATM.
So our monthly bills run around $2800/month(and that's the high end of I use the full amount saved on gas/electric. Last month gas/electric was about $100). That isn't too bad for the Chicagoland area. We don't have a home phoneline and we don't have cable or even Netflix so I don't see much more to shave off. If Den did lose his job, then the amount we spent on car gas would go way down. In a pinch, I would be able to get the bills down to $2100ish. Oh and I forgot, we are paying extra every month on the house payment plus we pay bi-weekly.
Do you want to know the number one money saving tip that no one ever writes about? Post your bills on your blog and ask for help. There are some pretty money smart people out there with great ideas and lots of experience. 
Are you happy with your budget/bills? Would you post it online?
Skinny budget,
Sonya Ann

9 comments:

SAM said...

I'm getting shaky reading that you do not have Netflix. It has become my crack-total time suck, but for money, at under $9.00 a month, it probably pays for itself in the number of times I keep my but on the couch watching with a glass of wine instead of going out.I sound really pathetic I think-socializing on Netflix instead of really going out.

slugmama said...

Well if Sonya Ann spend time watching TV I don't know how she would fit in all her liquor store runs and Windex spraying! hehehe

I'd post our bottom line bills but if Hubs found out I'd be in trouble. He is old school and doesn't want the world knowing what we spend almost as much as he doesn't want the world to know what he makes. lol

If you can keep your monthly bills around $2800 a mo. you are doing well, especially if that amount includes a mortgage. I swear when we paid off the mortgage back in 2008 I thought we'd have much more extra $$$ to save/play around with that what actually happened. Funny how life finds ways to swallow up any spare $ you have laying around, huh? Most of those ways life has a finding ways to swallow your spare $ involve KIDS! Damn those humans with similar DNA to myself!!! Money suckers every one......

The only way I "beat" you besides having a Rite-Aid and no mortgage is the cell phone stuff. I just can't do a cell phone plan. I may change my mind once Hubs retires and doesn't get a free phone from his work but for now I will never know the joys of texting thumbs and $200 a mo. cell phone bills. Laugh all you want and me and my PAYG flip-phone but it works for me for now and I can call myself more frugal than you in this one thing. 8-P
But I love you anyway....

Treaders said...

I wouldn't post about my bills/budget for the simple reason that no-one in my immediate family can relate to it. While on paper it looks like I earn a fortune (by my family's standards - I work in Switzerland), what nobody realizes is that prices round here go with that high salary. It's all relative you see. I'm not complaining in any way of course, but you really do have to compare apples to apples. That being said, when my ex buggered off I easily knocked 1000 euros a month off my bills and am throwing that at my mortgage. I was shocked when I went home to the UK for my sister-in-law's funeral. Six of us ate out (plus drinks) for about the price of one meal here. Amazing stuff. Anna

christina neumann said...

keeping your bills at $2800 is absolutely great. Ours is way above that. Unfortunately, our mortgage is high at $1700. I love reading financial blogs to glean even an idea of how to reduce bills. I still have 2 adult children at home (both pay some, and both in school). One is in graduate school, the other at junior college). I'm hoping when they're done with school our bills will go down. My daughter , who is a librarian, though, will help us make the mortgage payment , so that's going to help.

Cheapchick said...

Those bills are very low including a house payment. Ours are the same without a mortgage - but will go $500 a month lower when kid #4 is off the dole in September. You should see all the overtime she is working right now lol. We still have cable and netflix - I could easily live without cable though. For $8 a month we keep Netflix as watch at least 10 movies a month on it. We do little else for entertainment other than travel and going to the beach/kayaking (free now that be bought the kayaks). Hubby loves news so we can't cut out cable or it would be a marital issue :). We both get paid by the company but hubby more than I so as I am master bill payer he cuts me a cheque on payday so I can cover all the bills between that and my paycheck. His we use as savings/emergency/kid stuff. It works. The bloody dog costs at least $100-$150 a month between vet bills/food/grooming and toys. But he is definitely worth it, best money spent of all our bills.

Elephant's Child said...

No mortgage helps us a lot. Except that there is some costly maintenance we have been putting off (complete new guttering). And our health insurance is a biggie. And health expenses continue.

McVal said...

Man, you're skinny! I'm pretty bloated... in a bad way. And I would never post my weight. I mean bills.

Jane said...

Yup, my budget is posted as a separate page under my header photo. I don't really have anything else I can cut. Like you I over estimate my variables then bank the rest. Fun little savings strategy. We don't have a home phone, only have Netflix plus a free streaming service called Shomi. I usually spend less than the $160 for gas per month and $280 for food. I actually enjoy the challenge every month of trying to save more little bits and bobs from my bills - I love to save!

Janie Junebug said...

I won't post about my bills because it's embarrassing to be the poor person in my family. I'm on a fixed income. At one time my ex-husband had a gym membership that he didn't use in more than a year. I'm a big bargain shopper. I find great stuff (clothes, household items) at excellent prices. If I didn't, then I'd have to go naked, which might be okay during the summer in Florida.

Love,
Janie