Thursday, April 21, 2016

Cucumber Granola


I think that it is the granola season. Or would it be use up whatever is in the cabinet season? Or the broke season? I'm not sure but it seems that everyone is involved in this little season. Jane from Crabapple Landing was part of my inspiration. Check out her kitties, I mean nachos, no, really her granola. It is safe to say that her granola is prettier than mine. And since I wanted to use up some really expired honey and nuts, I had to punt a bit like Anne in the kitchen. And it is safe to say that she is a better punter than I am.
Here is the original recipe.......
 4 cups oatmeal 3/4 cup pecans  1/2 cup brown sugar, packed  1/4 teaspoon cinnamon  1/4 cup shredded coconut 3 tablespoons butter  3 tablespoons oil  1/4 cup honey(spray the measuring cup with Pam and it will slide right out) 2 tablespoons sugar  5 teaspoons vanilla  Preheat oven to 325 and adjust racks to the middle. Spray 2 9x13 pans with Pam. Mix first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine butter, oil, honey and sugar in a sauce pan and heat until melted, add vanilla. Pour the liquid over the oat mixture and stir well. Spread on sheets. Bake until golden brown 15-20 minutes.

I was out of my element by winging it. I mixed the oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl and then realized I didn't have shredded coconut. I found some dehydrated coconut and grated it and my finger nail. Then threw that in minus the chunk of nail. 
 
I then combined butter, oil, honey/nut mess and sugar. Only to realize there wasn't enough honey and squirted a gob in there and added the vanilla because I can't read directions.
I then added all of the dry ingredients and baked the snot out of it.
Who knew this would turn out!?!?!?! The nuts are a bit chewy but I think that is from spending years, yes I said years, dipped in honey. I think next time I make this I will use some of the old honey/nut mixture and some normal youthful nuts.
And if you aren't into granola(which is really good by the way), how about cucumbers?
Old nuts,
Sonya Ann

5 comments:

McVal said...

YUM!!! I'm so glad there isn't any snot in it. From what I recall, it's gakky.

Cheapchick said...

You old nut lover! It looks tasty. I try and have a good cupboard cleanout quite often but there are still a few things lurking in my baking cabinet that need using up.

SAM said...

My back is going and now my eyes are going. I did not read TINA on the nuts, I read TUNA, and for the longest time could not imagine why you would put tuna in a granola. I was seriously questioning your sanity. Then I realized it was my senility in question. Looks good-chewy nuts and all.

Wendy @ The contented Cavern said...

I'm so glad it's not cucumber granola I couldn't quite work it out lol yours looks good though

Anne in the kitchen said...

Excellent punt! The chewy nuts are just a minor detail, will be eaten and forgotten. Next time I would use really old dry nuts. Since you are going to bake them anyway might as well use old inventory and save the young nuts for something that really matters.