Thursday, July 14, 2016

Rolled Party

My Mother in law Donna had the best idea for our 4th of July party. She sent over DJ's little dorm frig to hold all of the side dishes. There is never enough room in our frig for everything and people always bring stuff that needs to be refrigerated so I have even less room. It was such an amazing idea and worked better than I could have imagined. Honestly, I may have to claim the frig as my own. Just use it when you need it and then unplug it and store it. This is much better than keeping an old, power sucking frig in the garage. Not that I would keep an old frig in the garage. A.-I am too cheap to run it. B.-There is no room cuz Den keeps everything.
Oh and ignore the blurry picture, I was in a hurry.
She also found a bunch of containers that fit in the frig. Bless her little heart. The only problem was that the bottom shelf was uneven. A couple of rolled up plastic bags and it was all good. She has some great ideas. She put together a party bin and that has been wonderful too. Its a massive gray plastic tote filled with everything that you would need for a party- paper plates, plastic utensils, napkins, containers, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, plastic table clothes, and every size of baggie you can think of. She should start a party business. Or a nursery, she can grow anything. Me, not so much.
What's your best party idea? Are you partied out?
Still tired,
Sonya Ann


7 comments:

McVal said...

I figure it'll be holidays for us. How smart is Donna on that fridge and fillings?? !

Practical Parsimony said...

I had one of those and sold it. Then, I regretted it. She is smart.

I had a party/picnic once a month for over two years My best idea was to buy the elcheapo metal utensils. (people thanked me. They were on clearance 2/$.25 I bought enough for 16 four-place settings with the salad forks, too. So, 64 pieces for $8. The dishwasher was empty before the party, so the pieces went right in the dishwasher. When I took them from the dishwasher, I put them away in a basket, ready for the next party. Over my party life of over 12 years, I saved money on utensils. Lots of time, the salad forks had to be used for the meal...so what?

Plus,I made napkins and washed them. The tablecloths were ones I made. Okay, the thing that annoyed people was I also used real plates. I had a wagon that carried it all in when the night was over. Remember, these parties were every month for over two years.

Practical Parsimony said...

That is 2 years, not 12 years!

angie said...

I have a little refrigerator for my class at school. In the summer I bring it home and use it for bottled water, soda, etc. I should break down and buy one to keep at home. My mother had cancer and didn't always feel like walking downstairs to the kitchen so she had a little frig upstairs that kept drinks/snacks. It also had a freezer where she would keep frozen dinners. On top of the frig sat a small microwave. This helped so her be able to have food/drinks close by. My sister and I worked during the day and my mom wouldn't let us hire nursing help.

Elephant's Child said...

Super clever - and puts me to shame.

SAM said...

Smart mom! We have DH's, used by DD1 for a year, in our garage, and I forget it's there.

Cheapchick said...

We have one of those fridges bought as a temporary fridge when we were without appliances last year between the time we sold our old ones and when our new ones were delivered (3 weeks). Hubby loves it so much that we kept it as a secondary liquids fridge. It shall come in handy when our floors are redone for a second time, as I have to empty the fridge so it can be stored in the garage during the couple of days installation. Definitely not a power hog either like the old fridges.